litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Calling Scott Mac....

JohnnyM

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought he was after a 135 head....... not sure how different the 135r head is mind.....

but i am astounded that we have gone this long without word from the man himself.... almost everytime i logon to mloc the entire "last post" column for each forum has scotts name on it..... someone must have nicked his computer or cut through his keyboard and mouse cables....

Johnny M

Its been pretty quiet as a whole, but I'm not sure whether to put that down to it being a good week weather wise (and everyone being out driving!) or just the fact that Scotts not been posting much...

Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can :no2:

Actually Johnny while yer here :P

You considered getting the S160 drivability kit? Dave Andrew's kit is a shade over £1000 all-in and the more I consider keeping the Elise (what with the crappy house market and even crapper Elise residuals) the more I keep thinking about getting it done :drive: The recent EVO article about Dave Andrews work on their 340R made me even keener...

Just wondered if you'd considered it?

Matty,

Never really considered the Lotus version of the kit. I'm sure it does what it sets out to do and helps if you have idle or starting problems, or the low rev lurching which isn't something i'm particularly afflicted with at the moment. My car is happy with cruising about at 2k rpm.

If i was going to start messing with cams and pulleys i'd probably be tempted to drop some verniers on and get them timed properly.

The only thing i think would help the 160's cause is to get that torque kick that you get at 4000rpm to extend a little further down the rev range, which i understand is what DVA does with the emerald and decent map coupled to some properly timed verniers..

I havent bothered to get my car on the rolling road or see how far out from ideal the timing is, for fear of me suddenly spending a shed load of cash on it... :drive:

The Evo article commented on how much better fuel consumption is since the map and timing were done. So tell me, how many miles do you get from a tank of fuel in the s160? I am seeing about 220 - 230 out of a tank before refill shows on the stack. What are you getting ??

Johnny M

About 200-220, Although I can see 250 if I do a few motorway miles. Its certainly quite a bit off the engine in 120bhp tune, which can see 300+

It really drinks the petrol at idle, something I only noticed today when I got stuck in traffic for 2 hours (and also found out that my fan kicks in ay 103 degrees :drive:)

Matty,

I think this is caused by overlap in the cam timing at idle. I recall reading about this. I think its also why it stinks of fuel on cold starts and idles lumpily.... both something that my 120bhp s1 didnt do.

Someone more techie will be along in a bit to explain im sure....

My fan kicks in at 103 too.

Johnny M

Mornin' folks... busy weekend sorry.

How impressive, i get similar fuel consumption to the S160 boys. Best i've ever seen on my car is 270, "normal" is about 225 before refill.

The 135R head - i have seen it, but it looks different, hence not sure! I've seen S1 135 heads offered for around £300 - £400 elsewhere anyway, but as Graeme says the PTP140 is pretty much the same head anyway.

Am loving my new manifold anyway... can't recommend it enough for lovely torque :drive:

Archived