litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Crp Fitting

Steve J

OK so I decided to try and do it myself.

The idea was to learn a bit more about what's under the skin of the beast.

1. Took the middle undertray off

2. Tried to take the rear undertray off, but couldn't undo one of the centre allen key bolts as I didn't have the right size key in my tool box

3. Took the rear grills off to get a better view

4. Grills were rusting, so cleaned them up and painted

5. Looked at CRP, looked at what I though was the Cat

6. Scratched head as they looked completely different fittings

7. Realised what I thought was the Cat was nothing of the sort and just some flexy bit in the exhaust

8. Found the Cat right infront of my eyes behind the exhaust

9. Realised the small kit that came with the car would have the right allen key

10. Removed rear undertray

11. Removed exhaust to get better access to rusted bolts

12. WD40 and lots of hitting removed the bolts attaching the silencer to the Cat

13. WD40 and lots of hitting (including finger) removed 1 bolt from back of Cat to exhaust

14. Could I get the other 2 MFs to move? ******* no!

15. Left car in bits overnight soaking in WD40

So very happy that I've done as much as I have with no knowledge at all, but annoyed with the last 2 bolts. Also broke a wrench trying to get them to shift. Don't think I'd make a very fast mechanic as it's taken 3hrs so far for a Horizon quoted 30 min job ;)

Neighbour's always taking the piss about how much work I have to do to the car and why don't I buy a nice reliable BMW. Tried to explain that the work is enhancements not repairs, but he's not convinced.

Is there anything else I can do to sort these last bolts?

Don't want to start cutting things as these bolts are part of the Cat (only the nut is removable).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got some thread release fluid if you want (not coming this weekend, though) - soak it overnight and they'll undo OK. I had to drill one out (ironically, the one with easiest access, but still couldn't undo it). The others were fine though.

Long breaker bar plus 6 sided socket rather than one with 12 notches will also help.

Chris

Oh, and once the cat is off, you can press the studs out (DON'T hammer them out - you can shatter the internals of the cat). Then you just use stainless nuts and bolts for both the crp and the cat.

Chris

Yup i agree with the above, did mine not so long ago, most sheared off and only managed to undo i think 2, however once they are off, take them to a vice and using a socket you can press out the studs, or drill them out, replace with nice new stainless ones and copperslip grease

Thanks for the advice.

I managed to undo the other two this morning.

So everything is installed, CRP, MIL eliminator etc.

Call me Mr Mechanic :drive:

However I wouldn't charge by the hour.

6 hrs total, 4 of which were trying to get those bloody bolts undone.

Sounds great, but can't hear the Hurricane anymore.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Archived