Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Zorst Advice

Glennman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry mate, but I'm gonna be rude.

Of course I would buy my Lotus improvement product from a company that dobbs out audio phono plugs for a living.

Julian Thompson would roll in his .........

(Sorry Jules)

Bob

Glennman

Firstly changing the exhaust will make a huge difference to the sound of the car and is totally worth doing so good move. Will make it sound like it is supposed to. :)

Looks good but no idea who this seller is and don't know what type of exhaust that is either. Personally I'd buy a recognised brand from a recognised source, such as eliseparts or through someone like horizon. There are a few options, only one of which I have experience of directly, which is janspeed in my case. For the price of this item currently you can get a new janspeed. You'll hear mixed views on these but there is a difference between S1 and S2. Mine's an S2 and I am very happy with mine, loud outside the car but fine within it. DaveS2111s has a janspeed as well and seems quite happy with it too, loud and raspy and although some folks say that it's boomy and resonates a lot I haven't found this.

Apart from that there is the B&C one which is much more expensive, or the magnex one which I don't know that much about. Think that elise parts have a new one out as well. There is also the larini one but that is very expensive, so it will rather depend on how much you're looking to spend. For the price of the larini you can basically get the janspeed, a sports cat and a hurricane (this is what I have) and I think that combination is very good.

Will try and dig out a photo, although mine is with round tailpipes (as is the one in the photo) - it won't fit your car (the one you have shown here won't either) since if you have an S2 standard you'll have oval grilles on the back. Janspeed do make an oval tail pipe version.

Kristian :)

Got to agree with Kris on this one.

I think the Janspeed has the right sort of sound for the Elise. The tonal change through the rev range just makes you want to push it. At 4-6k it's like a track car below that it's deeper and nice but not to big a sound for the car. It would be out of character if it sounded like some Keved up Nova (oops sorry S1 CUM!!) :)

The rasp the janspeed gives at the top end is brilliant IMHO.

The sound does improve as the packing gets sooted up a little. So give it 500 miles or so and you won't be dissapointed. I tried a crp with mine and it wrecked the experience it was just too loud and hollow drain pipe sounding. I think Kris has it right with the sports cat. Might go this route sometime but at the moment very happy.

Don't forget the Hurricane.... just adds to the overall sound and top end performance..worth every penny.

Check out my garage there are some pics on there of the zorst and Hurricane.

Dave :)

Dave - I think more folks should listen to us, eh? :)

Glennman - why not try nipping along to one of the runs, even if you don't do the run itself - likely to see and hear several different variants then?

We have the Magnex. I think it has a more high quality, less boomy sound to it. This will definitely change when we decat it next weekend (thanks Dave!)

Come to the pub meet next week and you can hear a few of them close up.

post-3-1092985216.jpg

There are several types of exhaust as mentioned above.

What you get is down to personal preference.

We have the Magnex exhaust fitted by Nick Whale. It is OK but not really LOUD enough for my tastes (hence CRP soon). The noise is lower in pitch than the Janspeed and therefore (in my opinion) sounds less tinny. Some of the Janspeeds sound rattley and too high pitched.

A bassy exhaust that you feel through your body always impresses me more than one that just assults your ears. (Flamesuit on)

Having said all that, I'm in the minority here as I think most people have Janspeeds on MLOC.

Was there not a thread / section on MLOC where the different exhaust sounds were stored?

Again as with most changes, getting to a run/pub meet will get you in contact with some folk who have already done what you're looking at and, if they're kind enough, will let you see theirs before you decide what to buy.

What ever you choose, it's got to be better than the sewing machine standard one :)

A bassy exhaust that you feel through your body always impresses me more than one that just assults your ears. (Flamesuit on)

Couldn't agree more :)

I have an RS Extreme (from now defunct Racespeed) and its bloody loud, very deep and bassy but takes a very nice raspy noise.

FLAMESUIT ON

I don't like the sound of the Janspeed particulalry, find it very harsh and tinny....

FLAMESUIT OFF

That pic looks a lot like a Larini one actually, its not, but they got great write ups, not too loud, certainly not harsh.

Personal recommendation goes to:

http://www.hangar111.com/Shop/Limited/Prod...verExhausts.htm

CLICK - Sound clip of mine

Thanksguy and Gals for the comments.

Tango 190...Had no intention of buying

that exhaust just was commenting on

how good it looks.

As for a meet, won't be able to make

the 26th due to holiday but i will be along

soon to say hello.

Glennman

Not that for a moment I am recommending the Chinese copy exhaust, but as someone who regularly goes to China and buys goods manufactured there. In fairness - the chinese will make an item to the lowest quality that they can get away with. HOWEVER, they can also make it to a far higher quality at a lower cost than could be done in the UK. Made in China does not have to mean low quality! In fact often I would take the chinese copy over the uk original!

I think this holds true with their AK47 copy as well.......

Hmmm.  Doesn't that mean that we are continuing to errode our already struggling manufacturing base.  We'll be a third world country full of Pikeys soon.  :)

I think you'll find we are a third world country full of pikeys already.

Hmmm.  Doesn't that mean that we are continuing to errode our already struggling manufacturing base.  We'll be a third world country full of Pikeys soon.  :)

I think you'll find we are a third world country full of pikeys already.

Don't forget the Chavs

Glennman

Archived