litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Punching A Hole In Fibreglass

MattyB

I know this seems like a strange question... :groupwave:

But how do you go about making a hole in fibreglass without causing fractures that could possibly spread? Is there a special way of doing it that should be left to the experts??

Don't worry I'm not about to vandalise my Liz :baby:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not difficult, you can drill using a conventional electric drill. If the hole is bigger than the available drill bits/hole saw, you can chain drill it and clean up the edges of the hole with a file. If you use a hole saw, make sure its a good quality one and that it has a centre drill bit to locate it, otherwise the chances are it will skid off all over the place and scratch the surrounding area.

HOWEVER:

1) Always drill from the gelcoated (good) side rather from the reverse side of the panel, otherwise chips of gelcoat will flake of as the drill breaks through.

2) Tape over the area with masking tape first, and drill through the tape - again, this stops the gelcoat from chiping and flaking around the edge of the hole.

Beefy,

Any details you have on the headlamp cover "bolts" would be usefull.

Mine are gummed on, and full of crap behind them, I saw some VERY small

stainless nuts and bolts on an Elise at Brunty, but don't know where to get the

little buggers from.

Any info old chap ?

:groupwave:

This might also help:

http://www.lotus-elise.nl/Mods/Stainless_S...uickoutkit.html

The ones I fitted were not as posh as those (i.e. not quick out) had to get my hand behind the wheelarch to tighten and loosen the nut from the bolt but still quicker than removing black goo!

Plus they demist a lot quicker.

Sounds easy enough... Time to get my drill out!

I've bought a DTM/Exige style spoiler off some Max Power site see, needs fixing directly to the bodywork...

:groupwave:

Archived