litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Grills

steve-n

Hi Guys,

I'm a new Lotus Elise owner (actually next friday) aand i've noticed the front and rear grills need a little attention. Could you advise me on the best way to remove these.

Also, Paul Matty Sportscars, are they good for servicing (ie price etc)

Thanks guys, hope to see you all on the run later this month !

Steve-n

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grills are very easy, get down on your knees, then you can see small screws on the underside of the grill , undo these and then you can pull the grill out from the botom rubber bungs, hopefully !!!!!! sometimes the screws rust in though........

If your car has no driving lights, the front grille might be a clam off job! My 97R has driving lights and the grille is easy to remove. My mate's 98S doesn't, and me can't remove his grille.

The plastics screws that hold them in (front) are easy enough ro remove. You'll probably damage them. Easy enough to find replacements, though (Halfords, local motor factors).

The rear ones have a metal screw into a netal nut all in a rubber plug. The screws and nuts have probably corroded together. These are very hard to remove. Once out, you can replace them with (bigger) plastic fittings like the front ones.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

well the front came off a treat. :D

the rear grills are a complete different ball game. The screws are just turning and not un-screwing due to the rubber gromet/plug. ;)

Is there an easy way of removing the screws other than hacksaw the screw heads off (to close to paint for my liking) :groupwave:

cheers guys and ladies !

Steve-n

Had exactly the same thing on mine, hacksaw blade was the only way I could easily do it, and then push the gromet through.

I guess you can access to the grommet from behind but I dont think it would be worth the hassle and didnt bother trying myself.

When I took mine off I couldn't even hacksaw the heads off - ended up pulling the whole lot through the clam. Tried to get at them from behind but its really tight without taking off the exhaust.

Archived