litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ok..just Thinking...

malbon

I used that tyre stuff on my Lupo - cause I had it instead of a spare tyre. Did the job, but I "forgot" to tell the garage I'd used it...he put it on that spinning-thing and because I'd driven a few miles to get there the "gunk" was warm and runny...he got the tyre off...

Well, you can guess what happened...it went *everywhere*. Nearby cars, walls, over him....And it really, really stinks. So warn the garage before they touch it :D

Yes, it ruins your tyre, but it just washes off the alloy...did on mine anyway.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DING!

What is it about a "Race Spec" tyre that makes it soooo different. If they won't repair one of those on an Elise, i wouldn't be happy with them repairing any tyre on mine. Call me whatever you like, but its the main thing keeping you on the grey stuff, so i'd rather be sure about it!

Price was £156 at NW so could have been worse.

I would have been happy to fix it, but they wouldn't and TBH they are the only tyre place I trust, had too many bad experiences elsewhere.

Also as it's a tyre they don't sell they actually lost business.

Their reason was due to the rubber compound being so much softer than the compound of the plug, and the fact a race tyre goes through higher changes in temperature than a road tyre.

I can sort of see where they are coming from.

Fixing a puncture in the middle of the tread isn't a problem and on a road tyre I'd happily do it (again!).

Fair enough.

I guess the bit about trusting the place is very valid... a lot of experience on this is based on a place i worked at before uni (Charlie Browns in Kiddy), i worked in the shop section but often saw the bay workers... yes they wouldn't repiar sidewall problems, but there was a lack of consistency in repairing them in general.

I'll still stick to new ones in future though :)

Whilst at Le Mans, met up with an Exige owner who had got a puncture on the way down - French garage used the plastic plug thing and that sorted it, it got him to Le Mans, and the tyre stayed inflated all weekend.

I'd personally not go near repairing tyres on my Elise, would just junk and refit.

Jon - Peter Smith stock Advans if you get desperate.

Simon.

Archived