litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Downgrading...?

MattyB

yep. agree. 160 does not sound like a day to day car by a long way.

There must be a shedload of people with good S1's with a few tricks on selling at about 13. Problem is most (on SELOC) will only give you 15. Itll be swings and roundabouts. They want 14 and will give you 16. They want 15 and will give you 17 !

When I went to trade my old X plate 111s in for an X plate 160 with identical miles at P.Smiths the cheaky bstard wanted 3.5 grand.

Best option would be to stick it on pistonheads or seloc and sell it first and then go looking for a standard IMHO

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Kris - dont know what im going to do with the plate. Its the one that came with the car as he sold the original which spelt 5 EAN or something. So when i take my MALBON plate back off when i sell there will be nothing to replace it with.

Dont know if it will be worth anything anyway ?

(all IMO) I think you'd apply to DVLA for a number for the car and they'd give you a number allocated when you came to sell. The LTS plate though looks like a private one to me, or if not it's a hell of a co-incidence on a lotus. Might be worth a post on SELOC to see if anyone wanted to buy it via a transfer or contacting reg transfers or someone to do it on your behalf, as if you stick the Malbon one on and don't put the original on retention I reckon it will go back into DVLA's pool of numbers anyway and maybe be sold. This could be a load of arse but I think you might get a few quid for it. The plates which are X# XXX sell for £250 minimum, some up to £1000 if it's something worth having, and that's just from DVLA.

Kristian :D

Thanks Kris. It is a private one. I'm thinking probably buy another T plate from a write off or something ? - dont want DVLA to give me a Q plate or anything !

Depends what it would fetch. If its only worth £250 then i cant be arsed with the hassle ! leave it on.

Jon

Pretty sure you just ask DVLA to issue a number and they give you what's available. Costs a bit but not a collosal amount. Maybe £100. D6 LTS and G6 LTS are £599 each through DVLA by the way.

Worth a thought anyway.

Kristian :)

True Graeme, the 160 gives me much more of what i was looking for than a std. car. horses for courses and all that... if it doesnt fit the requirement then fair enough !

111s could be an option as the everyday car, comfy seats and the go is pretty much still there. Although matty talks about getting a golf. so perhaps everyday isnt really in the mind.

I can live with the 160 every day. I am beginning to wonder if the previous owner fettled mine because its every bit at home in traffic as the old std. s1 was.

malbon - your 111s looks v. nice :)

Johnny M

Malbon

Your plate is just 3 digits away from my LTS plate, mine cost £250 direct from DVLA, and when I recently part-exed my S1, DVLA charged £80 to transfer this plate to new car and very first originally issued plate went back on.

Personally, I think that if I had a S160 I probably wouldn't go back to an standard S1, you are always going to get bitten by the upgrade bug! :)

John

Used to do some work with the DVLA so i know a bit about this plates lark.

What you need to do is apply for a 'Retension' on you private plate. This will take it off the car and put it on to a certificate. As part of the process they will issue you with a new reg number that is off the correct year for your car , eg. X something. You will need to go to your local DVLA office (have a look at their site for address) and take your Log book (V5) and MOT and insurance docs with you (might not ask for Ins but worth it cos you'll have to queue). They will amend the MOT and stamp it for you and they will take your logbook and give you a receipt, an new one with the new number will follow in the post so be aware it could take 2 weeks plus if your thinking of selling soon. Don't forget to tell the insurance that the reg has changed to. Oh and they charge you (i think it still is ) 80 quid for the pleasure, which includes the replacemnet number in that charge.

Personally, I think that if I had a S160 I probably wouldn't go back to an standard S1, you are always going to get bitten by the upgrade bug!  :wacko:

So buy a pre-modded one!!!!!! :clap:

For the money!!!!

I will be looking for a car with less miles and slightly newer but dont want to drop in the power side of things, mattyB wants something cheaper and also preferably not too much slower.

so we have a match made in heaven!!!! i even like the colour!!! :wacko::clap: :clap:

Weeeeell....I've changed my mind ;)

After washing it, cleaning it and vacuuming, I love it too much to let it go B) My mate drove it down the street and I watched it go, and thought, "that looks fvcking brilliant"

So its staying B) I know you can make base S1 look similar...but theres something about the low-slung looks of an S1 160 that cant be beat...

Archived