litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Whoa Focus Rs!

Scott_Mac

Had a bit of a play with one last night, it only involved a few roundabouts and sweeping curves, so stacked against the Liz...

But whoa, they are fast! Up to about 100 it was close, but obviously above that, he practically left me for dead... i was also not massively keen on doubling the speed limit!

Even through the "twistier" bits they looked very composed..... i reckon that competently driven on a B road, they could scare an Elise.

Must try one!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scott

i drove one on a lumpy B road. shocking, thats all i can say. My ST170 was way more composed on most surfaces, it tramlined and followed it's LSD rediculously (not quite as bad as the journo's made out tho). It was fine if you just pottered about at 40, but under power it had a mind of it's own on the undulations. the suspension is too unforgiving for the car to handle on B's. It is faster than a std. elise, but i reckon the 111s and your old enemy the Sport 160 :naughty: would at least match it.

Smooth surface and they're very fast, but after an elise, uninvolving and a bit of a git if you hate blue... :D

That said, most normal cars are uninvolving after an elise.

Johnny,

Your comments are spot apart from the fact it's the diff that's one of the biggest problems, but correct, very good on a smooth surface but shocking on a bumpy one.

Matty - love the 160, much prefer the peaky nature of it's power delivery to the more consistent 111 delivery. It just gives me more of a buzz to have to wring it out a bit more :naughty:

It's a world away from my std. old 97 S1 and im well pleased with it !

The biggest surprise is the difference in build quality even though its still an s1. The old 1997 car was quirky in lots of ways, but this one feels screwed together in a way the old one wasnt !

im also amazed that i find the seats incredibly comfortable despite the rock hard seat backs and being locked in place by the set of willans harnesses that are fitted.

Going out to work out if my car has had the mod/removal done on the second airbox. Should i literally be looking for a second airbox ? or is it a std. looking aribox split into sections internally or something ?

Mark - Yeah, thats what i meant. I had a racing puma without the LSD fitted and although slower on track, it was easier to follower your line on an uneven surface. I drove a car with LSD and although considerably quicker on circuit, it pulled you around a whole lot more on the road and accentuated the feeling of tramlining quite noticably.

The Diff in the RS must be great to get 212bhp+ power down cleanly through the front wheels, but i kind of get the impression ford thought it would be a trackday toy only and not driven to within an inch of it's life on the journey to get some rawl plugs from B & Q or down to morrisons for some jam.... where the black top isnt quite circuit grade :D

It was a very smooth road, so no probs, as i said it was very much in favour of the RS....

It was a bit of fun though and parted with a wave etc, throw some twists in and i reckon it would've gone my way... my car does feel very spritely but without head work/cams it ain't ever going to be blistering in a straight line! Even saw the same car in Sutton today too :naughty:

Matty - no second airbox, so its already done. The car seems very well looked after by the previous guy, doesnt look like it's ever seen rain...... :naughty:

put my clutch footrest back on (previous guy was apparently v. tall and didnt need it!).

also discovered i've braided brake lines :D not sure if this was standard. Tried to work out what dampers are on the car. The look black and have adjustable spring platforms. I was expecting LSS which i'm told is yellow dampers ? what are on yours Matty ?

Scott - sorry for hijacking your thread mate especially with 160 clap trap! :)

Wasn't saying the RS is not a fast car, i have been left for dead by one too when i was in the S1, was pretty level pegging in the bends, but on the straights i had no chance, The nature of modern fast fords as you will remember from my Racing Puma that you drove, you can just turn in at any speed and it goes where you point it. The elise requires a lot more driver skill, and as such i think is more rewarding even if ultimately slower.

So what mods you looking at doing on yours next ??

Johnny M

Braided hoses weren't standard, but they're a good mod to have :naughty: And I don't think mine are yellow either - but then I can't remember off the top of my head. Sure they're not just *really* dirty? :D

LSS is height adjustable too...

Matty - thought about the v dirty damper thing at the time.... but the rest of the area down there is so clean i discounted it.... but i will try and double check. It feels more planted on the road than my old s1 did even with the s2 dampers on.... but i didnt think LSS was supposed to be that good anymore ???

Yeah i didnt think braided lines were standard on any version, bonus !

Johnny M

Looking at the pics of your car I'm certain its got LSS. There was a 160 on PH without the LSS, and there is a huge arch gap...

But no, LSS isn't considered that good - alot of people consider it to be too soft, and standard S2 stuff, IIRC, is considered better. You've then you've got S2 LSS aswell, but not heard much about that.

S1 LSS is yellow.... as for being good. The spring rates are the same as S2 stuff, but the Bilstein dampers are adjudged to be better than the Koni's. I don't think anyone would say S1 LSS is bad, but for the cash S2 stuff seems to be better value.

Jonny.... i know what you mean, it was a mental car, i am sure it was nowhere near as rewarding and on a twisty road it'd be different, no question!

As for next plans on mine... after my Corbeau seats and harnesses, i may take a break for a while.... then its Nitrons and a PTP170 kit (especially after seeing a 135R with the PTP kit and it was effortless, manically fast with bags of useable torque etc... ) Especially as Horizon do them now!

Archived