litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Honda S2000 Or Porsche 911?

Fiona

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

993 best looking (IMO) by a million miles - 996 Dull, with a bus-like steering wheel (more an XK8 substitute imo), Late 964's are nearly as cool as 993's - but you want a wider turbo bodied car IMO!

Personally I'd stick with the Honda for the daily driver as a 'practical' 911 would cost considerably more than the budget you suggested. Older 911 lack electric safety gizmos which I'd want in a daily driver, especially come November - March time. Servicing a 993 (the type I looked into so know most about) can be a killer and make the elise look like a ford. Major service is 'apparrently' an engine out job - £1800 at a main dealer IIRC. Honda won't look as good and won't be as flashy, but for a daily driver has to be the choice IMO (and I am really fond of 911's) - practicality AND performance.

Really a case of buying with you head and not your heart when it comes to a daily driver IMO.

Buy a 3 year old focus and a 968 Clubsport. AND keep the elise. Or buy a 99model BMW M5 - that would eat up your 80 miles a day, chew them about and spit them out through its 4 exhausts. /dreamworld

Saying all that, as soon as I have my student debts sorted (keeping the Nottingham economy afloat for 5 years) I'll be looking out for a 993 Turbo to swap for my Elise and a bundle of reddies.

So Scott, you'd turn down a Carrera GT then? Or a 993 Turbo, IMO the best looking Porsche ever? Lemmy's GT3?

What with your Rover 214, then Rallye, and your hating of Porsches, I'd be inclined to say you lacked all taste, but you did pick an S1 Elise, so you deserve at least *some* respect....but not much :(

Old Porsche 911 - 80 miles a day ??

get out of town :tup:

I think they would be scarey running costs and no it would be no way to treat a lovely porker ! Though this ones looks quite nice.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=19756&s=79

The S2000 is a good option I suppose but don't get over excited about it because hand on heart its not the most exciting car. Though it will do what you want it to do. loads of miles with reliablility.

Personally with 20K and with what your looking for in mind I would go M Coupe or M Roadster - probably a cross between the Honda and the Porshse

Fiona - Scott's sitting on the fence post may be the type of reaction that you'd have to get used to since everyone will assume you're a git, I expect. Don't know why but folks seem to. I like 911s personally, but something to do with being everyone's aspirational car when I was growing up I expect.

FWIW my experience of running two or more cars all the time has always been that you're better of making sure that they're completely different, since if you don't you won't gain huge value from one over the other, and will have a favourite - and that will be the one that you pretty much drive every day anyway. Two x two seater sports cars doesn't give you much extra - so I'd say get a beemer or something practical and reasonably bullet proof, or at least with four seats, like a hot hatch or something, or an old range rover.

Ok, Flame suit on

How about a Boxter!

Suit off!

Yep prob not got a good rep, but are one of the best drivers cars. And would still be reliable and hold their value well.

Archived