litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Honda S2000 Or Porsche 911?

Fiona

As some of you may know I'm changing my daily car (Punto Sporting) October/November time for something more fitting for a lady of my status :D .

I've more or less decided on a Honda S2000 but a small part of me still thinks it is tooooo understated. I keep hovering around the Porsche boards on Pistonheads looking at late 80s 911s but would this be suicide as:

• it must be reliable
  • needs to do 80 miles a day all weather
  • I leave early enough to sit at *ahem* 90 mph all the way to work on the M1 which suits me fine :)

I have a budget of £20k for trade (so hoping to spend about £19k).

I've never looked at a Porsche before so I could never tell a good one from a bad. Aren't they beautiful, though: http://www.pistonheads.com/pipe/17d1911e98...ics/20951-1.jpg

S2000 is the easy option but just not as appealing.

Fiona

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think porkers are supposed to be a good reliable motor. End of the day there German so they’re really well screwed together. They can be a bit pricey to service and maintain but places like GSF and Euro Car parts are making it more affordable.

I would imagine the 911 would cruise the motorways better than a S2000.

At the end of the day the 911 is one of the best looking sports cars ever made! Although, i would try and fine a 90-on model. The one with the integrated bumpers looks a little more modern.

That’s my 2p anyhow.

Oh, and you get to say, "I drive a Porsche” and not "a Honda"!!!! :)

Porsche all the way....but I'd be tempted to spend a little more and get a 993 ... cant imagine the 964's are cheap to run now they are getting on a bit...

The only thing that stopped me getting one and getting a Liz instead was incase the engine let go or anything else major! It's one thing buying them but you need to be able to run them as well!

Gotta work hard for it, tho Taz. :).

On the contrary, there was no way I could have afforded an Elise at 24.

Running costs are a big factor. That's what worries me about a relatively high mileage Porsche. Hadn't thought about an Esprit but they're a bit "blokey" aren't they?

Fiona

Hey Fiona

I actually sold a 911 for my Elise !

Basically having lived abroad for 7 years, coming back to the UK with high insurance prices, high petrol costs, and road tax - I needed something cheaper for my daily car.

I had a 964 Carrera 2, built from 1990 - 1993. Gorgeous car.....sniff......but damm expensive and needed lots doing to it.

With the 964, themost important things are service history and engine re-builds.

Most 964 will have covered upwards of 80k miles and a top-end rebuild at least would be recomended if not already done.

The cars from late 91' had seals on the engine, but the pre 91' models were a metal to metal seal which over time distort causing oil leaks.

Dual mass fly wheels are also costly and will probably require a new clutch too.

Car will do around 20MPG, and if you goto a good independent (I used Formula Fuchs and can recommend them !) a full service will be about £200 (13 litres of quality oil is a lot of the cost !)

I plan to run the Liz for a couple more years and then go for a nice 993 model 911 (the last of the air cooled).

Buy a 911Porsche World mag - loads of good advice and some nice examples for sale.

Hope this helps.

Steven

There's Scott sitting on the fence again........ :(

Did you manage to get any trackday insurance, fellow young-un? I didn't :(

Fiona

Haven't been on track for a while so haven't tried.

I shall be checking alternative insurers though when renewal time comes, though i suspect tesco will reign supreme - you could always try Eggar Lawson as your main insurer, probably good for your trackday case too i guess.

As for sitting on the fence, I like to make my points nice and vague :(

Archived