litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024
  • Welcome to Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC)

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ladders
Ladders

Lotus Engineering To Develop Innovative Microsports Cars

Yes I know its a late post of it but its been Xmas and then I've been off ill!

British automotive engineering consultancy, Lotus Engineering, has been selected by Obvio!

Automotoveiculos S.A., based in Rio de Janeiro, to develop two 'trybrid' high-performance

microsports cars for markets across the globe, in a deal potentially worth over £70 million.

The lightweight urban microsports cars, designated 828 and 012, are the first products for the

new Brazilian OEM. The full engineering programme will include the development of an

advanced vehicle safety structure based on aerospace technology, the integration of 'trybrid'

engines that will run on gasoline, bio-ethanol or natural gas, and other powertrain variants.

Ricardo Machado, Chief Executive, Obvio!, said: "Lotus Engineering was a clear first choice as

our engineering consultancy. It has an impressive track record in managing complex

engineering projects and in developing exciting, efficient cars; its wide range of expertise will

be invaluable to us. We will now move forward together at a fast pace to bring these high

performance "ultra-safe urban microsports cars" to the US, European and Japanese markets."

Mike Kimberley, Chief Executive, Group Lotus, said: "I am delighted that Lotus Engineering

has been selected by Obvio! to deliver the entire design and development programme for

these ground-breaking cars. Lotus Engineering has a very strong heritage in developing

innovative solutions for clients and we look forward to working with Obvio! in what we believe

will be a radical new approach from a dynamic new automotive player."

Lotus Engineering will work with a range of Brazilian 'supplier partners' to develop two variants

of the new chassis concept which will be engineered incorporating Niess Elliptical Survival

Rings, already well-proven in the aerospace industry. Providing exceptional chassis

performance as well as class-leading safety, the concept also allows for very light structures -

target weight for the 012 is 750kgs (1,648 lbs) and for the 828 is 600kgs (1,318 lbs). This will

enable the vehicles to feature exceptionally good performance characteristics while also

running with highly efficient and economical power plants.

Obvio! is committed to ensuring its highly distinctive and innovative new models are fun to

drive and are practical for everyday use. They are configured with the driver and two

passengers sitting three-abreast and also feature scissor-opening doors to aid access and

parking in tight spaces.

Initially, power will come from a 1.6-litre unit produced by Brazilian engine manufacturer Tritec

Motors. Lotus Engineering will develop a new engine management unit, which will give the

engine "trybrid" capabilities, running automatically on natural gas, bio-ethanol or gasoline. In

parallel, Lotus will develop 170hp and 250hp turbocharged variants for higher performance

models in the Obvio! range. Electrically-powered variants of both cars are expected to follow

shortly after the trybrid models.

Obvio! has already signed a US$700m pre-paid contract to supply a total of 50,000 units per

annum, spread between the 012 and 828 models, to its exclusive North American distributor,

California-based ZAP - Zero Air Pollution (OTC BB:ZAAP.OB). Distributors for other major

world markets will be appointed over the next 18 months. The Brazilian firm has committed to

exceeding all worldwide safety regulations for passenger cars, while exciting performance will

be achieved through an impressive power-to-weight ratio and class-leading driving dynamics.

A core Obvio!-Lotus engineering management team will be based in a dedicated project centre

at Lotus' Hethel headquarters. It will manage the engineering programme for the two vehicles,

which will be delivered by Lotus Engineering facilities worldwide and for the first time by a

group of high-profile Brazilian-based tier one suppliers who will be heavily involved from the

very earliest stages. The two vehicles will be built in Brazil, with production expected to start

late in 2008.

Mr. Kimberley concluded: "This agreement means a great deal to us – not only are we

delivering a very strong technical offering but we will once again have the opportunity to

'connect' our iconic Lotus brand to Brazil. Three of the country's most famous sports

personalities, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nelson Piquet and Ayrton Senna, played a major role in

helping Team Lotus to win 79 Grands Prix and seven Constructors' Championships in Formula

One. With this heritage behind us, we are proud to be able to play a leading role in the

development of the Brazilian car industry.

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/uploa...pr_download.pdf

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.