Jump to content

litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
Chatsworth, 8th-10th July 2022
  • entries
    72
  • comments
    68
  • views
    237,088

Aluminium Indicator Stalks


mambosasa

6,063 views

Hey all.

 

What happens when I get bored? I buy something new for the car. Anyway, this time, after getting the inspiration from someone on SELOC, I decided to change my plastic indicator stalks.

 

Now, if I was to be honest, the original Vauxhall stalks are not too bad. They are functional and work pretty well. However, this is an Elise and if it could be changed, change it!!!

 

So, I rang up a few breakers yard for TVR Tuscan aluminium indicator stalks and after only a couple of calls, I located one for £45.00 plus VAT. Not bad to be honest.

 

I was pretty pleased with what turned up. They came full with the switches, which coincidentally are exactly the same as the Lotus ones. Very nice.

 

Comparing to the originals, they are very close in terms of size and I think look so much better...

 

gallery_590_495_28985.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_26226.jpg

 

Me like B)

 

So, on with the installation. This is pretty simple. In fact, its probably the simplest thing I have had to do on the car.

 

Shroud removal

 

I am not really sure if this is what its known as, however its removal its pretty easy and took about 5 minutes.

 

Just remove all the screws that you can see and remove the top half completely off the steering wheel column.

 

Be gentle as these bits are pretty flimsy.

 

gallery_590_495_50015.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_92249.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_15628.jpg

 

Removal

 

Once the shroud is clear, gently squeeze the clips at the top and the bottom of the switch, then slide out.

 

Be careful not to yank the cables as you do this. After all, these cars are not 'young' you know! :D

 

gallery_590_495_46127.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_62417.jpg

 

Then, unclip the wires from the switch.

 

Note: make sure you know where they came from and don't end up in a muddle when it comes to replacing them.

 

gallery_590_495_71369.jpg

 

 

Clip the new one on...

 

gallery_590_495_9089.jpg

 

And slide back in place until it clicks in.

 

Quick comparison photos...

 

gallery_590_495_17788.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_43437.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_115369.jpg

 

Do the same for the other side.

 

Once done, remove the rubber boot at the bottom of the original stalks and push them through the new ones.

 

gallery_590_495_82502.jpg

 

Then, just replace the shroud (reverse of removal) and job is a gooden!!:clap::clap:

 

gallery_590_495_22516.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_28567.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_5866.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_92364.jpg

 

gallery_590_495_56399.jpg

 

I think they look pretty good. The feel somewhat different to the original ones due to the cut out at the back, but apart from that, I am pretty happy.

 

I can definitely call this job done!!:afro:

4 Comments


Recommended Comments

No wonder you need to add a supercharger - all this trinketry must be adding sooooooo much extra weight :P

 

Seriously Bis - that looks really good :clap:

Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use