litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Member Saying Hi! - Sport160

dinglem

I think the S160 prices bottomed out a while back and they seem to be going up and up again now, as I always suspected they might. Interesting to see how many standard cars have remained as factory spec.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first Lotus was a black S160 with red interior - loved it. Much preferred it to my Exige. It was reg W958 RHT, wonder where that is now....

It's odd that it's probably worth more now than it was when I sold it 10 years ago.

post-3645-0-26130500-1476644967_thumb.png

Looks like it's still going strong :)

Yeah Martin, mine had one large wheel and one small...and no it wasn't a penny farthing it was a Raleigh Chopper ;-)

Shame you still haven't got it Phil - if you sold it now you could get another Elise with the money they're going for!

I've seen one of the high-end 80's BMX go for 5.5K believe it or not - madness.

I have seen an S2 with a bike rack on it, although the owner had made it himself and it was 'suckered' down to various points on the bodywork and clamped over the tail of the rear spoiler. Actually looked pretty good. I've always wondered what boot-racks could be made that didn't damage the bodywork and would require minimal attachments. There must be something out there, surely?

I do a lot of snowboarding too, and as I am close to the Tamworth Snowdome I head there to practice quite a bit. My old Imp Van does all of that kind of work though, and transports the bikes as well. I would like to find a bike rack for the Elise though. Is there anything out there at all that could double up as a snowboard rack?

Hmmm.....

post-5964-0-38133200-1476748015_thumb.jpg

post-5964-0-88081000-1476748030_thumb.jpg

I managed to track down somebody who could make me a pair of replacement central fins for my extended diffuser last week; they had both bottomed out when backing off the drive and were a bit 'pinged' and then to top it all off I hit something on the motorway and managed to lose an entire fin a while back. I have to say the replacement items look the business and were very reasonable indeed. I just have to fit them now.

post-5964-0-31871700-1476781672_thumb.jpg

post-5964-0-51191500-1476781700_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Bit of an update on this, firstly, the wife is preggers again, so that puts a bit of a spanner in the works (to go along with our 2 year old....) but much to my surprise she offered to buy me a new soft top for my birthday early this year, so i jumped at that. She said she thought a red one would go with the red interior accents on my car, so i went along with it seeing as i already had the black original, and i quite like how different it looks. I am assuming it will have the roof off most of the time anyway.

I then purchased a new all-aluminium radiator having read a few stories on here about the original plastic-end items starting to fail, and along with that bought a new expansion tank, new driving light (smashed one hitting a rabbit at vmph on the M40), new towing eye mount bar thingie, had the sill covers re-trimmed, and then sent it off down to Steffan at Analogue Automotive for a once-over. It looked very sorry for itself being put on to a trailer i must admit... i was sad seeing it vanish up the road without me :( However, with all of those new parts fitted, it has come back with a chassis inspection showing zero corrosion, which is nice, suspension check, one new wheel bearing being required, and so hopefully it should now be good to go for the summer.

I had fitted the new fins on the rear diffuser before it went off to Analogue, so that's another job done too, and the alarm/immobilizer is also now fixed.

The plan is to drive down to the south of France with it some time next week, and then use it down there for a few months. We are working on a house resto in Carcassonne so will be there for about 3 months in total. The wife is flying down a few days ahead of me with the little one, so get to to have a blast down in the car a while after, which to be honest i am really looking forward to. I will try to add a few pics of it when over there. I'm actually really excited!!!!

18198678_10156067756756258_5755590037384548556_n.jpg

I hope you have a great time in France. I have an SVA 160 black with red pretty much the same as you, but with the original steering wheel. The shocks have been changed for Gaz units but I have a set of bilstien lss to go on. I also have the original koni lss in the garage to allow me to bring it back to original should I wish. Unfortunately mine hydrauliced last week so it's currently having a full engine rebuild and a replacement con rod in number 2.
Going to give it a general clean and refresh the suspension while it's having the engine done to bring it back to top top condition.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Blimey - pretty mad when you see them stripped back like that. Do you know which number of the 50 yours is? I think this model is worthwhile spending some funds on now the prices are on the up.... i plan to use mine down in France and then put it in for a full refurb, suspension overhaul and get the somewhat peppered front-end resprayed. I just wanted it looking refreshed and decent for the time being.

I still have the original red steering wheel tucked away in the loft, i just switched it for a removable one for security, and because i just couldn't get my head to like the red centre on the original. 

I know they offered the removable ones as an optional extra on the S160, although mine is slightly different again, being red and black leather.

s-l1600.jpg

That's not my picture - but the catalogue is for sale on eBay right now so i grabbed some shots. I do have a couple of those brochures kicking about somewhere though, but i'm not at home at the minute i'm afraid.

Archived