litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hello Elise

chrisdb

A few years ago we did a great club run though the Elan Valley and out to Aberdovey. Other than an aborted attempt to park-up in Tywyn for a fish-and-chip lunch, it was a great day.

Does anyone remember the route? It would be brilliant day out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wales run would be good and I have a few routes but I'm afraid August will be very difficult for me to sort, as I'm sure your all aware these things take a lot of organizing and I simply won't have time to organize due to work commitments . Early September is possible and I'm more than happy to sort it, any earlier and I'm afraid someone else will have to carry the baton.

As always ill go with the majority

Well I'm just back from a good blast around Snowdonia and the Llyn peninsula - bit busy but what a great day - can't stop grinning! Things I've learned today.

- need sunscreen - my pasty Scottish skin now looks like a cooked lobster

- even in a bright yellow car people don't see you at roundabouts. Glad the brakes are good.

- people either try to let you pass at every opportunity or start driving like nutters! An idiot in a Mitsubishi Pajero was trying to race me!

- I get even more attention with my blonde girlfriend in the pax seat. Not bragging - double glances everywhere!

- car abilities > driver ability! (Don't worry I didn't crash or have any hairy moments - I'm still a bit scared of it) - you can just tell it wants to be driven quickly. Would be devastatingly quick on the twisty bits in the right hands!

- the noise. Omg the noise!

Jon - I'm not sure what's involved in organising a run but I'd be happy to help. Looks like I'm going to miss Chatsworth now - have to attend a 1yr old birthday party...

^ +1

If you've only driven modern EPS based cars at first the "communication" you get can be a bit intimidating. The more you use the car the more in tune you will get with it ;)  

It takes a fair while to calibrate your brain to quite how well an Elise will go round a corner. You can speed up the process with some track time.

I Highly recommend looking at https://www.lotus-on-track.com/ for a friendly day out with a mix of cars that broadly speaking will be on par. (Of course you will get out cornered by the guys on semi-slicks + stiff springs + nitrons, and you will get out dragged by those with SC'd Hondas, but it's not going to be like mixing it up with everything from Corsa's to GT3's)

Tuition is invaluable too. I know a lot on here have done the carlimits day (http://www.carlimits.com/)  I haven't done that day, but have done some similar stuff over the years.

Finally if we are going for rounding out the whole package, I can't recommend enough a day with an advanced driving instructor. I did a day with a police instructor (it was a freebie when Honda launched the  Civic Type-R back in the day) and honestly I can say it was the best day I've had if the goal is to make sure you keep cars shiny side up out on the roads. If memory serves Honda employed these guys: http://www.macdrivertraining.com/other-products/ 

Great to hear your enjoying it Chris, as you know the car is set up for those roads.

"- need sunscreen - my pasty Scottish skin now looks like a cooked lobster"............It's not just the Scottish that suffer with pasty skin mateblush.pngblush.png

"- even in a bright yellow car people don't see you at roundabouts. Glad the brakes are good.".......... I did warn you about people going into a trance as soon as they see it coming, especially on roundabouts....although the horn will scare them witless drive1.giflaugh.png

"- people either try to let you pass at every opportunity or start driving like nutters! An idiot in a Mitsubishi Pajero was trying to race me! "...................Yep all Lotus are chav magnets????. Best just to let them disappear into the distance, or better still rev your engine wildly at traffic lights looking as though your going to take off then simply drive off like miss daisy as they destroy the clutch in their chav mobileclap.gifrolleyes.gif

"- I get even more attention with my blonde girlfriend in the pax seat. Not bragging - double glances everywhere!"........................ Sadly I don't have one of those crybaby.gif but if you have a sparewub.png swmbo doesn't read Mloclaugh.png

"- car abilities > driver ability! (Don't worry I didn't crash or have any hairy moments - I'm still a bit scared of it) - you can just tell it wants to be driven quickly. Would be devastatingly quick on the twisty bits in the right hands!

- the noise. Omg the noise!"................. Plenty of time to sort all that Chris, your approaching it in the right way. Over the years I've lost count of the amount of "driving gods" who have appeared on Lotus forums telling everyone just how good they are only to disappear arse end first into a hedge/Armco/barrier/fence etc etc within their first few weeks of ownership.blowup.gif

Archived