litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Checking In From My Euro Trip

Simon Mac

Currently in Austria after nearly 500 miles driving today.

getting lots of attention on the autobahns, with lots of people taking videos of the car. :o

all in all pretty uneventful otherwise, apart from one point where the heavens opened, and the woeful speed of my wiper meant I couldn't see a thing :)

tomorrow is a local touristy day, before striking out for stelvio, and time permitting onto Monaco!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm heading to Monaco and the alps.... Will be in Monaco from Tuesday PM for 3 days, what's your schedule ?

That might work TBH!

I've booked in at a Hotel near Stelvio tomoz, probably head down towards Genoa the following day, making Monaco on Wednesday!

Today had a good look round Neuschwanstein Castle.. amazing place, and a much needed day off (500 miles in an Elise driving solo in one day isn't for the fainthearted!)

Lots of people love the car, esp. on the Autobahn, I lost count of the pictures being taken of it!

I'll drop you a PM with my number.

Just done the stelvio, remarkably traffic free in both directions!

Test of cooling on the way up, rad fan on, and hit 102c, despite moving at a reasonable rate ;)

Real brake test on the way back down!

going back up tomoz, on way to Milan.

If you own a Lotus, you owe it to the car to do it at least once!!!

go pro footage to follow shortly ;)

Just done the stelvio, remarkably traffic free in both directions!

Test of cooling on the way up, rad fan on, and hit 102c, despite moving at a reasonable rate ;)

Real brake test on the way back down!

going back up tomoz, on way to Milan.

If you own a Lotus, you owe it to the car to do it at least once!!!

go pro footage to follow shortly ;)

Sounds like you are having a brilliant time!

It's on the big list of places to drive.

Just on the blighty part of the return leg from Le Mans.

Hope you've had a great time.

Btw the car has had numerous compliments, no doubt down to your previous guardianship ;)

Haha, no one but Christopher Niels finest craftsmen worked on it.

As long as it's still running and your enjoying it.

My wife and I did the Stelvio in 2006 with the SELOC crew. It was an amazing experience and I think once you have done something like that you will always have a hankering to do it again at some point in the future. I am hoping this will happen again for me in the next year or two.

Really glad your having a good time.....I am green with envy unsure.png

Well made it back in one piece and the car didn't miss a beat... Only damage is a missing aerial from the last night sad.png

Final route:

Day 1: Nottingham -> Namur (Belgium)

Day 2: Namur -> Luxembourg -> Reutte (Austria)

Day 3: Reutte -> Neuschwanstein (German Castle) -> Reutte

Day 4: Reutte -> Solda (Base of Stelvio Pass)

Day 5: Solda -> Milan

Day 6: Milan -> Monaco

Day 7: Monaco -> Borgoin Jallieu

Day 8: Borgoin Jallieu -> Paris

Day 9: Paris -> St Omer

Day 10: St Omer -> Home

The only pre-booked element was the Euro Tunnel, we just found hotels on the fly using booking.com over 3G, so most nights was <75 Euros. 

post-4994-0-37593800-1408085687_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-78659100-1408085706_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-80092300-1408085732_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-03052200-1408085758_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-87234200-1408085781_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-88793500-1408085803_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-25710100-1408085826_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-19546900-1408085848_thumb.jpg

post-4994-0-64894700-1408085878_thumb.jpg

Terrific!

I am going to Paris next week with the trouble and bins. Anything in particular you would recommend?

Definitely do the Louvre... I've been to Paris a few times (on piss-ups) and this was the first time I visited, was blown away!

Much more impressive than the Eiffel Tower.  We didn't scratch the surface in 4 hours.  Go very early and head straight for the Mona Lisa then the Venus de Milo to avoid queues.   Kids are free and adults are €12,  you are supposed to have ID for the kids, but we had left daughters passport back in the hotel and they did let us through This will be much cheaper than the Louvre tours which were advertised in our Hotel for €75!

Eiffel tower is good but again can be massively busy depending on time, and TBH you go to the top, have checked something of your bucket list, then come back down.

The Sacre-Coeur is also worth a trip, you get a good view of the city and some decent places to eat on the way back down.

Be careful of pickpockets, and check the beer prices. Beer in the tourist traps is easily >€10, but if you shop around much more reasonable.

Metro is OK, but much more confusing than the Tube. A distinct lack of maps in the stations, so download a metro map on your phone.

HTH

Brilliant. A trip like that is so on my list of things to do next year. Already primed the wife :-)

Do it... honestly you won't regret it!

Such a memorable trip for a reasonable price.   €750 in hotels (you'd prob be less as I needed twin rooms which were harder to find and therefore more expensive), €400 in fuel, £150 tunnel.

Of course if taking the wife all these costs may seem like a drop in the ocean if she goes shopping in Milan, Monte Carlo and Paris :)

If I were to do it next year I would go a bit later. Last year we stumbled into Lichtenstein on national Liechtenstein day, great atmosphere, free live bands, and you get to see the king ride round on his horse through Vaduz (I think it's generally around 14th August).

Archived