litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Be Honest....what Would You Buy

Gareth

between the S2 Elise and the VX220 if the VX was supporting a Lotus badge?

I really do like the VX but I think badge snobbery would get the best of me. Ive been out in the Turbo which was very quick. So who has driven both?

Gareth

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fed up of all this 'People dont buy the VX220 because of the badge'. I wouldnt get one because I dont like the looks. To many cars these days seem to be styled to make them look 'modern' rather it asthetically pleasing ie Modern BMW's

Wouldnt bother me if the VX220 was faster - Its the whole package I'd be after

Sorry if I've offended anyone! :clap:

Gareth, buy the one you prefer and can afford. Personally I prefer the look of my S2 over a VX, that's why I bought one. However, you can have a used VX for a very very good price these days, if you like the looks then it would be hard to justify the extra outlay for a Lotus badge. A used VXT in a few months time would be very tempting. The actual differences in driving both cars is minimal. The VXT is a serious bit of kit. A 111R will be nearer £30k by the time you've added a few bits, that's a lot of money for that type of car.

I completely agree with Ladders. I saved for years to get my S1 cos IMHO its the best looking car on the roads. The VX220 may perform better but is UGLY :clap:

I dont think its badge envy either, if another manufacturer had designed the S1 elise instead of lotus I'd have saved for that one. Its all down to looks and the VX doesn't cut it.

Drive them both and make a decision. I did and preferred the Elise... less obvious compared to an S2 :clap:

I also prefer the look of the Elise, though a VX in black is nice.... sitting in them at the motor show though the Lotus felt well put together, especially inside, compared to the VX....

I don't mind the external looks of the VX, and black is probably the best colour for it, but really didn't like the interior, which seemed nasty to me. You may pay more for the lotus but you'll also get more back.

(oh, and Scott, :clap: again...)

Prices of the VX are amazing...can get one with less than 10k miles on a 51/02 plate for £15-16k.

But no, I don't think I would buy one...would still rather pay the extra for the S2

Try this question: are you an Owner or an Enthusiast?

Owners buy new, like manufacturer warranties and trade in their hardware every couple of years. It's not such an emotional attachment.

Enthusiasts LOVE their cars, aren't bothered by the apparent protection of warranties and like to tinker with their pride & joy. It's a passion which family & friends often "don't get".

On this basis, most people buying S1's now are enthusiasts. Obviously the cars are cheaper than S2's so there is the practical issue of available funds to consider, but many S1 buyers (myself included) could have bought an S2 (or VX) for cash if they'd so desired. Clearly the cars aren't being bought as mere transportation and many owners are looking to tweak them or at the very least, tweak themselves with driver training and/or track days.

Conversely, most VX's are appliances. Undeniably effective and by any normal standards, superbly capable. At risk of causing offence to S2 drivers, compared to the S1, the S2 is heavier (lower pwr/wght) and less tweakable (emissions regs etc) so is probably somewhere in the middle.

The looks are very subjective. I've wanted a Lotus since I was a small boy so guess it's easier to relate the slightly retro look of S1 to those early associations. The S2 just seems (to me) more contrived, with its slats & slits in place or curves.

Graeme

Archived