litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Site Slow Since Latest Release ?

Sonya and I both finding it slower that it was before the upgrade. We also have trouble with replies timing out on occasions.

Not a home connection issue, I don't think, as all other sites we use are not different.

Also, several failed attempts to post a Spotted tonight, the last one resulting in this :

>>SQL error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

>>SQL error code:

>>Date: Wednesday 12th of April 2006 04:36:33 PM

It was at 22:35 though, not 4:36 PM.

EDIT

Failed (attempts all seemed to work, but I got Microsoft standard error message about the page being unavailable). Duplicate Spotteds deleted !

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant say I've had any problems myself, that error is a major server error in that the database isnt able to be connected to. Which is usually something more terminal than the code we run to create the software.

Will keep an eye on it and see what happens, if anything the monitoring software I use is showing the site as being a lot more reliable since we moved to a new server. It hardly ever goes down *jinxed it now*

The 4:36 would have been the servers time, it is running a US data centre and thus we falsify the forum time to make it correct :D

Sonya and I both finding it slower that it was before the upgrade. We also have trouble with replies timing out on occasions.

To put it in context - it just to 14 seconds to open the post on insurance and 6 seconds to open this "reply" window.

These things used to be instant !

Are you using the rich text editor or the normal editor?

Are you using the skin which doesnt include the Topic Preview.

What speed internet do you have?

This page just took 3.345 seconds to open for me.

Are you using the rich text editor or the normal editor?

No idea - the only thing I've changed is to use MLOC Silver (Wide) skin

Are you using the skin which doesn't include the Topic Preview.

Using the one without topic preview.

What speed internet do you have?

2MB, and have been for well over a year.

This page just took 3.345 seconds to open for me.

Is that read from the site time at the bottom of the page ? If so, they seem wildly optimistic. I can count several seconds when it comes back with 0.2s, 0.5s, etc. I'm talking about what used to be an instant (ie under a second) from clicking on a thread to the full thread appearing that's now several seconds, and sometimes times out.

Strange that both Sonya and I see it - she connects through the same wireless as me but also has to go through a VPN to work before getting out to MLOC, yet we see similar "slowness". Other sites (BCBBS, SELOC, Exiges.com, internet banking, webmail) are all still as quick as ever for both of us, which rules out our connection / wireless set up.

Can you try http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/index...=UserCP&CODE=04 and switching the editor at the bottom to "standard editor".

The non topic preview page is the correct one as it generates smaller pages, so your skin is ok.

The time at the bottom of the page is the page generation time on the server not how long it took to display on your browser. I have a different tool specifically for that, we have a 2 meg connection at worked shared between a lot of us and I still get quick loads, this time it was 2.417s to load this page in the browser screen.

What ISP do you use?

I can only think the route from your ISP to the server is longer/slower than for most peeps, I checked the page sizes and they are on a par with a lot of SELOC's pages so thats the only thing I can think it is. There is a test I can get you to try, I'll send you a PM with it :)

Can you try http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/index...=UserCP&CODE=04 and switching the editor at the bottom to "standard editor".

Checked - it already is on Standard

What ISP do you use?

NTLWorld, but no change there since we upgraded to 2MB ages ago.

I can only think the route from your ISP to the server is longer/slower than for most peeps, I checked the page sizes and they are on a par with a lot of SELOC's pages so thats the only thing I can think it is.

But the other sites / pages are all still as fast as they were before.

PM recieved and actioned !

All of the other sites may well be based in the UK server wise and thus the routes to them would be very different.

The test I sent you should show the route your ISP uses to get to the MLOC server in the US to see if there are any bottlenecks there.

Anybody else reading this thread with NTL and have the same problem? I might do a poll later.

All of the other sites may well be based in the UK server wise and thus the routes to them would be very different.

The test I sent you should show the route your ISP uses to get to the MLOC server in the US to see if there are any bottlenecks there.

Anybody else reading this thread with NTL and have the same problem? I might do a poll later.

Not likely an ntl problem, i work for them and theres no networky issues at the moment althought it might be worth configuring a specific proxy in your browser - there could be a webcache playing up somewhere. Drop me a PM with your IP or MAC address and I can do some digging if you like.

Im on the ntl corporate network (using the same peering as ntlworld) and everythings fine. As is my Virgin ADSL which also uses the ntl network.

Let me know if i can help

Jeff

We often have strange results for some cutomers on NTL, especially for Outlook Webmail servers where it will just 1/2 work. End up doing a google for NTL Proxy Server and putting a random server in there and it all springs to life.

We often have strange results for some cutomers on NTL, especially for Outlook Webmail servers where it will just 1/2 work. End up doing a google for NTL Proxy Server and putting a random server in there and it all springs to life.

Yeah, that'll be the dodgy old webcache servers :(

Get a proxy server from here which is close to you. Then in Internet Explorer go to Tools, Internet Options, then the connections Tab, then on the LAN Settings button tick the USe Proxy Server button and paste either the name, or IP address into the one field, and in the port number put 8080. Then OK all the way out and try surf. You may have to try diff proxy servers to find a working one, and also, the port may be wrong, but try 80 if 8080 doesn't work for any of them.

Here's the link:

http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26500

Good luck,

Daniel

Archived