litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Std Elise S1 And 160s

Gaz_R

....besides the greater Hp!

My mate has a 160 and the noise it makes even at idle is so much better than mine. We have discussed this and we think it may been down to the cams but I think there may be more to it than that.

Does anyone know what other diffrences there are between the two engines and how easy/costly it is to make the changes?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

160 engine has as standard, an uprated industion, throttle body & exhaust system, plus a ported head & hotter cams. In fact it was not designed/ set up properly from new and that lumpy engine characteristic can be improved!

In spite of being called 160, most engines were making a little over 150bhp.

Buy my car off me - it sounds much nicer than a 160 at idle... goes better too :oops:

What have you done to it to make it sound better then?

Don't go silly and give me a huge list - just basics - I already have the Janspeed Super Sport exhaust so can't get anything more out of that. Its the idle engine I'm interested in. The 160 just goes Bop Bop Bop Bop :D you know what I mean - so can I just change Cams to get this or does in need major engine o/haul?

In spite of being called 160, most engines were making a little over 150bhp.

???

The real story is that as they left the factory they made just over 150PS due to type approval rules and regualtions. Remove the 2nd airbox and fit a sports exhaust and it makes 160PS. Mine had a hurricane a Cat-pipe and a 160TB (S160 comes with a std throttle body) and made 167bhp at Emerald.

Buy my car off me - it sounds much nicer than a 160 at idle... goes better too :bday:

What have you done to it to make it sound better then?

Don't go silly and give me a huge list - just basics - I already have the Janspeed Super Sport exhaust so can't get anything more out of that. Its the idle engine I'm interested in. The 160 just goes Bop Bop Bop Bop :groupwave: you know what I mean - so can I just change Cams to get this or does in need major engine o/haul?

Cams will help to give that noise... as will a decat. Biggest change to the engine note on mine was definitely the 4-2-1 Manifold though - gives a healthy improvement to the performance too! Don't think the 135 head made much difference, but the whole package makes a gorgeous noise! IS a tad loud mind....

I'll try and record it if you like?

Cams will help to give that noise... as will a decat. Biggest change to the engine note on mine was definitely the 4-2-1 Manifold though - gives a healthy improvement to the performance too!  Don't think the 135 head made much difference, but the whole package makes a gorgeous noise! IS a tad loud mind....

I'll try and record it if you like?

Was chatting in the pub last night and we came to the conclusion that chaging the manifold would be a good starter. How much is the 421 and how long to fit?

Also, can anyone advise on how much the parts listed below should be bought for second hand..? I realise it depends on condition etc but they've only done 15k apparently>

1998 Elise S1 Cylinder Head, formerly used by minster-power. Upgraded- has piper p270 fast rd cams;enlarged inlet ports;modified exhaust ports (no detail)

comes with:

intake maifold, throttle body, air filter and side scoop.

All removed by PTP in Cambridge. The Elise this has come off was rolled at 145bhp corrected - don't know which manifold it had on though.

Any and all advise appreciated.

Well... Manifold is about £450 to buy and about 4 hours to fit - it's a bugger!

The head and cams etc would be a great buy... make sure it has Verniers or similar though as it'll idle like a bouncy ball otherwise. With that lot you'll be getting close to the limit of the std ECU too, would be worth thinking about an Emerald too... as for the price of it, i reckon £500 would be a good buy if you could get it for that, cost new for that lot would be about £1000 ish (excl fitting) which will take a while too!

Overall you'll love that too... i know of a 135R with the same setup (incl the Manifold) that made 148bhp at the Aldon Dyno Day... you'll get a load more torque and screaming top end!

Mine made 158bhp with decat and sports exhaust - but personally I'd get a sports cat due it being a PITA during MOT time, plus the potential legal complications.

160's just sound awesome at idle... :(

However, surely getting that kind of noise - which is in part caused by the lumpy idle (?) - would at the same time give you the slightly less usable drivability at the bottom end. I'm not sure thats something you want to create....

Or maybe I'm just talking rubbish and it is possible to get that noise without compromising drivability....

I think the S160 andard bottom end though, so by and large can be replicated in a sitaightforward way. That's what I tried to do with mine - 160bhp head (DVA) bigget TB, Hurricane, ditch the zorst, hotter cams and properly times verniers. I think mine is probably identical-ish, and was rolling roaded with 168bhp recently with Raceline (deffo better back pressure than everying else that's been on it, so more torque??) and silenced cat pipe. I wouldn't have any more with the bottom end as it is, and any more would need TBs and an Emerald anyway I've been told.

Dunno about everyone, but I quite like the lumpy idle. Seems better since I changed the battery though it still needs you to rest your foot on the gas for a few seconds and take it off ever so gently (a quick drop in revs when it is just started seems to stall it). All part of the experience for me. Just like any other motor if it just turns on and goes.

Engine aside, I'm still sure the bodywork is slightly different and the stance 'squatter' and 'beefier' than the normal Elise. I've got the 160 wheels on mine but even with identical ride heights it just doesn;t quite look as beefy as a 160S - to me anyway. You'll all tell me I'm wrong - but I'm still convinced there are some differences!

Not sure about that though Scott - when I was looking into the Emerald everyone told me that the major downside was that you lost the 'cool noise' if you had the low down drivability sorted out...

Archived