litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Elise …..or investment hook

richbk

I don’t normally read Autocar as it seems to need more content that the car world  can create , so just makes stuff up to fill space , a little like the BBC , but we won’t go there today !!

but I did spot this image of a Julian Thompson , Callum design company imagined new all elective Elise , that has been created to house the batteries for a UK start up firm hoping to make lightweight powerful batteries with 155 mile range that can charge in 6 minutes . 

what do you guys think ?

I don’t dislike the design , but looks heavy and hunkered down rather than light and on its toes , but I guess what ever happens the new Elise will be heavier , so might as well embrace it rather than try to hide it ? 

IMG_2553.jpeg

• Like 1

Lotus say the Type 135 will be on the market 2026. There was a piece on Midlands Today about the above project and it came across as being much more about the batteries than the vehicle, no doubt battery technology needs to improve and you'd like to think Lotus will be watching developments in that department very closely?, they've got a couple of years yet. In regards to the car above I think its a mash up S1/S3 Elise, its only a prototype, and you only have to look back at Julians prototype drawings of the S1 Elise to see how different the finished article was. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Lotus come up with for the Type 135, sadly I suspect I won't have the funds to buy one🙄

There's yet another article on Autocar.co.uk today re the type 135 electric Elise.

Matt W. says that the project is proceeding as planned after the much publicised split with Alpine.  Bad news is that it sounds very much like Lotus will be aiming it at folks with deep pockets again.

A 50k electric Elise with, say, 300bhp, a modestly sized battery (maybe equivalent to the tiny tank's range in "old" 220 Elises), decent seats (Probax are sh*t), and mini-Evija styling would be absolutely perfect.... please!

Read the Autocar article here.

It’s an interesting read, LEVA platform is old news but a bit more info on potential battery etc. They’re estimating the price at 80-100k but given current inflation figures it’s going to be way more than that. Even at the estimated cost it’s out of my league and I think I’d miss the “event” of an engine and gear change. I know it’s the future, I’m just a dinosaur and I’m still not convinced electric is the solution but it would be great if Lotus could pull off a lightweight and great handling electric sports car.