litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Getting Road Salt Off The Underside Of Car?

Joff135

I have had the odd blat in my car lately...while the roads have been dry but salty looking...and i was wondering what any of you chaps do about cleaning off the underside of the car? I don't think that my local carwash does a spray underwash only program? Perhaps i shouldn't worry about it as it has only been used a few times in this weather? Any hints and tips out there???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is a tough one this, as if you start spraying too much the water may just get in all the nooks and crannies the undertrays otherwise protect.

Then, as it drips it will get stopped by the undertray, condense and evaporate up again. ( I listened at primary school )

So in theory you should get the undertrays off, spray carefully, allow to dry, put undertrays back on :clap:

Yeah, right.

Probably better to cut down on the salty drives and maybe do a spring clean/spray of the undercarriage with an oil and filter change, too.

Cutting down on salt is good for your blood pressure :P

I didnt think salt reacted with aluminium? the oxide on the aluminium gives it a protective layer!??? Although I could be wrong I'm no scientist!

No wonder I only got a C........ :clap:

Think you may well be right. The motorbikes I've owned tend to fur/discolour their aluminium bits rather than collapse. Bloody hard to get any shine back, though.

Mind you, I'm presuming there are quite a few metal/steel/iron bits under there, too?

Aluminuim suffers from electrolytic corrosion! So if you don't want your undertray to rot through at the fixing bolts, wash it!

If you read your owners handbook, it tells you to wash the underside of the car with clean water after driving on salty roads. :clap:

I spoke to a technical chap at Lotus HQ...and he said that i should just give the car a jet wash underneath...being a bit careful around the brake area.

I would rather get the car up on a ramp really...get a wet suit on...and use a bucket of warm water if possible!

Archived