litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Exige discs and pads

ollie

It's finally time to do the discs and pads on the Exige little winter project for me.

Just after recommendations on what route to go down.

I've got the 4Pot brakes on the front.

So do I get the AP 308mm discs?

Seen elise-shop do some aluminium bells?

What size and recommendations for the rears?

Just got the standard wheels front and back.

Are brake pads still the pagid 42s the route to go down?

Cheers 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ollie,

I've always stuck with the 308mm APs and 4pots at the front and Pagid 42s all round on the two exiges I've had - that set up has worked well for me in the past on track and road. Always stuck with the standard rear disc size - after all its the fronts that get the most work out on track.

Max. 

• 2 weeks later...

We use Alcon c hooked rotors (295 f 288 r) and nitron bells from Dave at seriously lotus, with CL5+ pads, great on both road and track

tried PF08 pads but too noisy with this rotor bell combo, and they sit on the shelf in the garage barely used.

prior to this it was standard discs with pagid 42 pads (the blue ones) and did not like the wooden feel of them and felt they lacked initial bite

• 2 weeks later...

Ollie, what size disks are on the front - did it come with 4 pots as a factory upgrade (should be 308 if it did) or did you add them later? Are the current disks lotus disks - if not what make / size?  Why do you want to change them? Are they just worn? What is your budget and motivation?

308 AP are a good shout if the 4 pots and wheels allow it (they need bigger calliper spaces if you currently have smaller disks).  Rears are all 288 do down to disk / Ali-bells and pad choice at the rear.

I’ve a Honda S2 Elise 111 (so a bit heavier at the back a bit like the exige/S2.5) and I run CL5+ on 295 Ali Bells Front and decided to use CL6+ on the back as they give extra bite (and extra wear) and this takes the heavy bias off the front, and the extra weight in the back allows for a bit more bite.  I wanted to go bigger disks at the front (four pots), but I’ve never really felt it was under braked.  But that maybe down to the CL5+  (I don’t use it in winter/ice/grittier conditions).

Go for better quality ali-bells front and rear, they will last longer and brake slightly better.  For example AP, Alcon, or Performance friction etc - I noticed the difference between OEM lotus disks, some after market, EP split and then AP were better, PFC or Alcon next for me. 

Archived