litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Uploading Pictures To Modifications

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on what the problem is. If you have reduced the resolution to the size indicated and the file is still too large then you may have the problem I had some time ago. If you took the pictures with a digital camera like I did (a Pentax) then it saves a lot of so-called 'metadata' inside the jpeg. This inreases the file size a lot. This data can be seen when using various photo editing software and indicates the f-stop, film speed and so forth. The easiest way to get rid of it is open the file in micro$oft photo editor and save it out. This should strip out all this data (because photo editor doesn't recognise it) and magically shrink the file size dramatically.

can anybody tell me....how do i make the file size smaller??? every pic i try to upload into my garage to show all me mods, it says that im not aloud. how small do my files have to be aswell???

There's a neat utility from Microsoft that's in their downloads section. Once installed, you can simply right click on a photo and "resize" is one of the options.

I've posted the link before, but can't remember the thread or how long ago it was. Should be easy enough to find, though.

If you can't find the thread, it wasn't too hard to find on the Microsoft site.

Chris

It depends on what the problem is.  If you have reduced the resolution to the size indicated and the file is still too large then you may have the problem I had some time ago.  If you took the pictures with a digital camera like I did (a Pentax) then it saves a lot of so-called 'metadata' inside the jpeg.  This inreases the file size a lot.  This data can be seen when using various photo editing software and indicates the f-stop, film speed and so forth.  The easiest way to get rid of it is open the file in micro$oft photo editor and save it out.  This should strip out all this data (because photo editor doesn't recognise it) and magically shrink the file size dramatically.

Not strictly true as the metadata or EXIF data is only very tiny. What you are doing knowingly or unknowingly by saving the image again by another application is shrinking the file size because that program by default has a harsher compression ratio on the jpg file.

That said, if it works do it :)

The limits for the images in the garage are:

Maximum file size: 150k

Maximum resolution:

800 x 800

Just discovered that you can't upload pics if you're using "anonymous" software. I've just installed Ghostsurf (free with Maxim mag this month) and photos wouldn't go in. Got the "Security Error" message. Disabled it and all's fine.

Probably blocks the cookie that keeps you logged in.

Don't think so - I can stay logged in fine for ages, just can't upload images with Ghost surf running.

MLOC is much slower, though, when Ghostsurf is running - possibly timing out when uploading images ? Even replying to post with text only is slower.

Not slower on the BBS or S*LOC, though.... just MLOC.

Not a problem - I'll just disable Ghostsurf when uploading pickies to MLOC.

On mine, I just right click on the saved camera Image on the PC, and "open with paint" . . Then re-save the paint image of the MOD in paint, and Bobs your Uncle - a smaller size file, but the same picture#

Archived