litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Insurance Help - Moving Home

billy69

Hi,

I'm due for insurance renewal on my 111R on the 10th October, and my current insurer (Bell) has given me a reasonable quote. However, I'll be moving home on or around the 18th October from LE4 to Newtown Linford. The same insurer is quoting £300 less at my new address :-)

I have 13 years no claims, and have always been fully comp.

What are my options here?

Should I renew and hope the insurer is honest with a rebate?

Should I try to extend the current policy a month and reinsure at me new address?

Should I take my car off road for the intervening week, and what impact would that have?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted!

Billy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Billy,

I too live in LE4, but would love to live in Newtown Linford as it is such a nice village.

Goodluck with the new place.

As for the insurance it depends on the insurance company.

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago and Admiral let me extend my current insurance for a month at a competitive rate before getting a new quote. They also gave me a rebate for the overlap time, if that makes sense.

This way I avoided an admin charge for changing details too.

I thought Admiral handled this really well, but I wouldn't necessarily trust other insurance companies.

Temporary insurance with another company is likely to be more expensive.

Technically you are no longer allowed a brake in insurance (no insurance) without being SORN, but for a few weeks I'm sure you will be ok. Although many insurance companies will tell you that you can't do it, full stop.

£300 cheaper! Mine is only £600 a year fully comp in LE4 with my Lotus Europa S through Adrian Flux, does that mean I could half my premium if I move?

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Bell are part of the Admiral group, so they may well have the same policy. I'll give them a ring.

I've just turned 35, and my insurance renewal dropped from £950 last year to £720 this year (which was fantastic), but when I looked for a quote at the new address it went down to £418. I'm really chuffed with that, and now I realise my insurance as been so high because they put it at a higher theft risk.

Thanks again,

Billy

Archived