litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Pipercross V Hurricane

Mac1967

Hi Guys,

I need some advice please. When I purchased my Elise Type 23, it came with a Pipercross induction filter (but not fitted).

I've now decided to pop it on and see what difference it makes (looking for noise difference really)...

but...

Should I stick the Pipercross on or go for a Hurricane system??

Is there really any difference or great preference?

I don't really know much about either of them so some advice would be greatly received.

Also... will a different induction system change the mixture? Will the ECU compensate for this? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Geeeez....

Thanks guys

Regards,

Mac :wacko:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not enough of a difference to justify swapping.

I assume the K&N has a cold air feed, otherwise it'll be sucking in hot air from around the engine.

Hurricane looks better and gives a better sound, but not much in it.

ECU has no problems with these kits.

Hi Steve,

The one that came with the car (although not fitted) is just a cone filter with a small linking tube - No tube leading to the side air intake so there would be no feed from the air intake...so I take it this is no good?

Regards,

Mac

Hi Steve,

The one that came with the car (although not fitted) is just a cone filter with a small linking tube - No tube leading to the side air intake so there would be no feed from the air intake...so I take it this is no good?

Regards,

Mac

If you want noise, then stick the Piper cross on. It will sound better, but because it's sucking in hot air from the engine bay you will not get an performance increase. You may actually get less performance on hot days.

If you want a very marginal increase (1-2bhp) then stick an enclosed filter kit which takes air from the side air intake; Hurricane kit, etc.

If you don't really care for either, then don't bother.

Andy

if you already have the PiperX you may aswell stick it on and see what it sounds like for the sake of 1/2 hr fitting it!!

you will like it, and not want to take it off, i promise.

put a bit of flexible ducting from the side vent, blowing onto the filter. cable tie it to that steel strut that braces the chassis.

sorted

The purpose of the pipe means you can put the cone near to the nearside air vent, so the air feed will be cold enough.

I have a Pipercross cone on the end of my cold air box (for d2htb's).

AFAIK Hurricane is the only induction system which tries to seal the path from the vent to the cone - do they claim a ram-air effect? ITG produces similar or better power figures (at 2x the price) but is positioned near to the vent as per Pipercross.

So in conclusion: fit the Pipercross - it's as good as any!

Fit one! Go for a Blat!

Fit the other! Go for a Blat

Cant really tell the difference? You can! Fit that one, you will be happier :angry:

Noise = worth it

Responsiveness of engine = worth it

Whatever you decide never second guess your decision! There are enough to**ers out there to TRY and do that for you!

Enjoy :D

Thanks for the advice guys,

The Pipercross that came with the car (although unfitted) is just a simple cone with no additions longer pipe to draw cold air from the side vent. I think I'll stick it on and see what happens. I might then try adding some longer tubing to get the cold air effect and see if there is any difference.

Thanks for all your advice...I now know a little more what I'm doing.

I'll let you know how I get on and how it sounds.

Regards,

Mac

Archived