litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Clanking From Rear Brake

zircom

Hi, my rear left brake pads are clanking, if i stop and dont put on the handbrake i can move the pad about, so when im driving it makes a clanking noise.

I had my discs and pads changed a couple of months ago, started happening a couple of weeks ago.

Any ideas, cheers in advance

(S2 2001)

;)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey mate,

The pads tend to be toleranced to allow for expansion when hot. This does mean they can clank around a bit though.

You can fit brake buffers, little sticky rubber pads that you can fit to the caliper to "dampen" the noise.

I trust all the retaining springs are present and correct?

I fitted buffers to mine - seemed to do the trick.

Dunc

Dunc is correct but if as you say you "had them done" I would return to the garage that did them and get them to check it out first especially if there was no noise before. I have an S2 2001 & no noise BTW.

Don't take chances with brakes ;)

Did you get upgraded pads?

My original AP pads didn't move about but the new SBS ones did and cluncked a bit (smaller to allow for expansion when used hard on track).

Not too much of an issue, but if your not happy then buffer pads can be put in to stop them moving about (as said before).

They are green stuff pads, and yeah I had some adhesive pads put in as well? Just wondering if that anti rattle thingy wasnt put back in? You think that would do it, im thinking that just holds the pad in place, apart from the pins that is.

Archived