litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Coolant Question

richbk

hi guys,a few words of advice to ease my worries please.

just got my car back after metal coolant hose replacement,carried out at stratstone in brum. very helpful considering they sell astons and jags only.

coolant level in tank was just below maximum on collection. drove 80 miles home,steadyly up m6,keeping eye on temp gauge. it was constant at 87 when running rising to 90-93 in traffic and at lights. no problems. when i got home and lifted lid the coolant tank was full to brim and hissing

is this normal,or do i have a problem

left for 2 hours and level had returned to max. but after short run this morning same thing is happening.

is hissing due to fact that pressure release on lid popped when i had initial problem ,does it need to be replaced

many thanks

rich

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your water level should be around the min mark, maybe it has too much in it, thus when rising causing pressure and the hissing noise.

Take it down then test it. :D

will give it a go later, stuck at work now,in this heat,with no hope of an afternoon run - how gutted am i

cheers

dont worry about it.

sounds like just an air block. there is a bleed screw just off one of the inlet pipes to the header tank. get the car up to temperature and let some air out. careful not to burn.

is your oil ok. i.e mayo in oil ?

any shit you can see floating in the header tank ?

if this doesnt work get it pressure tested at lotus or rover. also check your cap as beefy says as thier success rate is something sill like 3 out of 10 caps

sorry to hijack the thread, but on the subject of pressure caps, could a dicky one cause a slight hissy whistling when warming up? If I wanted to replace it, are they cheap and easy to find for an S1? Order from a dealer perhaps?

rich - most posts I've read on the matter suggest a 'normal' level is nearer min than max when cold, so maybe just overfilled?

caps can be got from lotus or rover.

no more than a fiver but ive had 2 failed ones before getting it right.

Header fill should be just above min when cold. If it pressurises right up then goes back to normal on cold then chances are its an airlock

If it pressurises and then goes to well below min then chances are its beeing evaporated out the exhaust as steam and will be inlet manifold problem or head gasket.

Archived