litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Coil Pack Packed Up!

DunkHSP

Engine light came on at the weekend for no obvious reason, took the car down to Stratstone (still under warranty) and they plugged it in and I had a missfire on all cylinders according to their gizmo.

New coil pack, leads and plugs was the remedy which has been done (extended warranty paid for some of it but not all, bastards) but I couldn't get a real reason why it had happened.

Some waffle about the coil pack being on top of the engine, heat, vibration, blah, blah. Design fault then?

Anyways, has anyone else had similar? The car has done 21000 and in my onwership hasn't been trashed too much (honest).

Bit concerned as the warranty is up at the end of the year and don't really want a reccurring problem if I can help it.

Cheers

Dunk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

misfires in elises are usually generally down to rain. water in the plugs etc.

coil pack isn't uncommon nor common.

Are you always parked outside in the same place ? Silly question but i always was until my old one started misfiring. Realised water was getting blown in there. Turned the car to face the opposite direction when raining - problem solved

I'm on my second coil, which isn't that much of a surprise given its a '98.

What was surprising is that it happened to fail after idling for 5mins, causing it to stall and not restarting. Oh, and that five mins was the first 5mins after having changed cambelt, tensioner etc......... All of which was completely unrelated (hadn't done anything to increase load on the system at any point). Bloody nerveracking though. I checked I hadn't screwed anything up and in the end had to go through everything until replacing bits by trial and error.

All you can do is see if it re-occurs. There is no reason to suspect it will.

The one thing I was a bit unsure of was I had a mini-sub unit fitted (speaker, not underwater transport device) and wondered if this caused a bit of a problem.

It was installed professionally at CEL in Leicester who were pretty highly reccommended so I asume they know what they are doing.

I guess I'll just wait and see, service is in Nov/Dec time so iI'll ask the guys at PTP for their opinion.

Thanks for the comments tho'

Dunk.

Archived