litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Radios In S2s

Sibs

Hello all

Has anyone bought an Elise S2 in the last couple of years? My S2 (51 reg) has incredibly bad radio reception (which I know has been reported on extensively). I was wondering if the newer Elises have solved this problem?

Thanks

Sarah

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sarah,

Buy some sticky aluminium tape and wrap around the wires coming from underneath the aerial (cover the black split plastic sheath that houses the wires as far as you can.)

This gives me perfect radio reception but it doesn't seem to work for all.

We'll be near your neck of the woods for the run at the end of Sept - can you make it?

Fiona

Hi Fiona

Thanks for the reply. I've never bothered fixing my radio because I'd rather play CDs but my other half always complains about it. Anyway, I was more interested in whether the new ones have a good radio reception or not? What year is your car?

When is the run in September? I haven't been able to make the others so far and I'd really like to go one time.

Cheers

Sarah

I've been meaning to ask that too. I used to have a bit of silver tubing on my cable. But it's since vanished. Does anyone know where you buy it from? Failing that, is that aluminium tape from Halfords?

You can buy those 't' shaped ali plates to improve your radio reception although i'm not sure how well they work. I think you'll always struggle with MW reception because of all the activity going on just behind the ariel.

Some people now have the DAB units in although thats a pretty pricey solution.

As for the bag bit, do you mean the little bit at the bulkhead? I was told they stopped these in later models, shame cos its a good place to store the roof bag and little tool kit. Also good for chucking 'flyables' in when rattling around country lanes.

Sarah,

Mines an 02 - I don't have a travel bag.

My radio is the Clarion DB - I'd expect it's the same as your.

Dan, alu tape can be bough at Halfords.

I've got a MY04 Elise 's' and you get a Blaupunkt headunit as well as the aluminium foil fitted as standard. (reception still pants!!)

You dont get a boot bag but on the battery cover there's a slot for the logbook etc, and the toolkit has a bit of velcro sewn in to stick on to the carpet.

B)

If it's any consolation, reception in the S2 Exige with DAB and powered aerial under the front clam is still rubbish in rural area's, but better around town than in my old S2 Elise with Clarion.

For example, if I drive to Watford down the M1, I get full uninterrupted digital radio from about Milton Keynes going south, then loose it again when coming north at the same place.....

Does anyone know if the ali tape acts as shielding or does it actually aid reception? I have seens little booster amps (PP3 batery powered) which you can use to boost the signal from a car aerial.

I only ask cos when I'm stationary and engine off my reception is ok, start to move and its CD time.

Has anyone used the 't' shaped bit? I think you get them from eliseparts or eliseshop.

Archived