litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

rev counter

Nick S1

I have a problem with the rev counter on my S1, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. The times that it doesnt work if I tap on top of the stack the needle sparks into life and works until I turn the ignition off.

Last week it gave up all together, no amount of tapping on top of the stack would get it to work again.

Ive had a look through the archives and a few people with similar problems have cured it by removing the stack and reseating the multi plug at the back of the stack.

Friday I removed the stack, removed the multi plug, cleaned the contacts refitted and it still didnt work. I repeated the above procedure 3 times and on the third attempt the needle sparked into life.

Everything was OK Friday and Saturday but while out today it has started dying and then coming back again!

Does anybody know which wire on the multiplug at the back of the stack is the signal wire for the tacho? My thought is that there may be a faulty connection in the plug or perhaps the fault is in the stack itself?

Ive also posted this on the BBS so sorry to anyone who has read it twice but all help is much appreciated

Nick

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this could be the sensor at the wheel end? if the stack looks fine, then i'd start trying to trace the wheel sensor down, has the car been up on ramps recently (before this started), on my last car (bmw) if the car was up on ramps o on the cagrage lifts then for a while after the abs sensor on the wheel would have come loose and i'd need to get it sorted..maybe this could be something similar

wuddie

thanks for the advice but the rev counter gets its pulses directly from engine speed and not from a wheel sensor.

I have removed the plug at the 'engine end' of the connection but this made no difference

thanks anyway

nick

Archived