litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Want To Get A Front Clam Respray...

GreyKnight

I know there was a thread about it recently, but I wanted to ask some questions relevant to my car.

Firstly, I've decided a front end respray would do wonders for my car. The stone chipping on the front clam is pretty bad and all the laquer has come off giving the nose a rough, pitted and dry feeling :P In addition I have this really annoying crazing to the paint around and between the Lotus badge and passenger side indicator where the paint has really cracked badly (I have NO idea why). I can see a large sliver of paint coming away in the next few months if I'm not careful :( The car is Ruby Red by the way... I wonder whether it could have anything to do with the car having its nose poking out into the summer sun all day long while the rest is under cover...? (its just parked under an outdoor shelter, but the front end sticks out).

I'd also like the wing mirrors done.

So, given that I live in Worcestershire, where is the best place to take the car to have this work done and what kind of money are we talking? I've just had a bit of inheritance from an aunt who passed away last Christmas and a pay rise so I'm thinking that a bit of cosmetic surgery on the Elise may be a worthwhile investment in terms of keeping the value of the car up a little.

The rest of the paintwork is pretty much fine, just a couple of nicks in the rear clam which appeared from nowhere, but I've used some touch up paint on those and they're okay.

So - any advice would be appreciated :P

Thanks.

Graham

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your car is new aluminium.

http://www.mikecauser.com/lotus/parts/paint_codes.html

front clam respray should be between £500 and £1000 depending where you go.

Make sure they do the surface prep. on the Stonechips as some places will and do just spray over them :)

Haven't got a personal recommendation myself.

Actually - I just remembered this. I went to uni at b'mouth and remember this post.

When I was thinking of getting an early tatty S1 and Honda'ing it, i thought a long weekend in Bournemouth could kill 2 birds with one stone :D

This is a very good price if the quality is as what he says and well worth a weekend down there in the summer as there are some cracking bars around now.

Don't thank me. I've sorted your paintwork and a big weekend on the piss inc. hotels for under 2k. :)

ooops...S E L O C L I N K Y

[( In addition I have this really annoying crazing to the paint around and between the Lotus badge and passenger side indicator where the paint has really cracked badly (I have NO idea why)

if the paint crazing is like a star or cobweb effect then it could be minor impact damage, or if is more severe crazing then it may have had a previous repair using low cost base coat or laquer.

[(  In addition I have this really annoying crazing to the paint around and between the Lotus badge and passenger side indicator where the paint has really cracked badly (I have NO idea why)

if the paint crazing is like a star or cobweb effect then it could be minor impact damage,  or if is more severe crazing then it may have had a previous repair using low cost base coat or laquer.

I have it on good authority that it is almost certainly a paint defect, perhaps even a factory defect. I'll be looking into a respray over the coming months.

[(  In addition I have this really annoying crazing to the paint around and between the Lotus badge and passenger side indicator where the paint has really cracked badly (I have NO idea why)

if the paint crazing is like a star or cobweb effect then it could be minor impact damage,  or if is more severe crazing then it may have had a previous repair using low cost base coat or laquer.

I have it on good authority that it is almost certainly a paint defect, perhaps even a factory defect. I'll be looking into a respray over the coming months.

Yep I have the same cracking at the front under the headlamps, also have scratches and stone chips... I need a respray soon [saving up after hols]

Horizon have quoted me £500 + VAT for a front clam respray. They didn't mention whether that also included the mirrors and bonnet that I asked for though...

They reckon middle of September for the spray booth to be operational.

Horizon have quoted me £500 + VAT for a front clam respray.  They didn't mention whether that also included the mirrors and bonnet that I asked for though...

They reckon middle of September for the spray booth to be operational.

There is a guy who gave my gf's old tigra a full respray for £520.

He said he would do my liz for that :blink:

Archived