litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

From 0 To 100 Km (60 Mph?) In 5,9 Secs

Cremo

So any of you super elise drivers can teach me their perfect start from a street light?

currently i am speeding like a grandmother with a fiat because i am not that good and i don t want to destroy the car...

but can u give me a few hints on how to do a good start?

what s the best rpm to release the clutch?

at what rpm to switch gear?

please help before i kill myself :P:P

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I'm not sure it's possible to do regular fast 0-60 starts without (eventually) destroying the car. The stress on the transmission is pretty severe when you thrash it from a standing start and do a fast change from 1st to 2nd at high RPMs. It's the same with all cars. You're unlikely to get the 'official' 0-60 time out of an older car on the road regardless of how you drive it.

Get off the clutch sooner rather than later at fairly low revs and don't let it slip much. The low torque means it's not going to accelerate very quickly until you get higher up the rev range - no amount of clutch slip or wheelspin will help here.

Deffo not a wind up, Cremo is a genuine member, have even sent him some MLOC stickers to Italy.

If you have seen the Elise inside story video of how they do the 0-60 times then I wouldnt do it myself, pretty sure they dont use the clutch to change the gears and thrash it like mad to get the figures. Will have to rewatch the video and remind myself.

Ak ok fair enough, wasnt sure if it was a wind up from some MGF owner or something like that, wouldnt like to try it with my car without the clutch then, have too much respect for my wallet for things like that.

Stig on Top Gear advises the 'stars' in the reasonably priced car to get to 4,000 revs before they release the clutch and get going - meant to reduce wheel spin? :P

I'd imagine the Elise would be different revs but you might benefit by using the same principle?

dang... on this forums speaking english is soo much difficult :P

probably just because speaking of cars requires a lot of technical terms :P

anyway aside reachinge the 5.9 seconds

how do i do a good start?

since now all my buddies with slower cars (like an audi a3) pwn me at the street lights! (i act like i am not challenging em but to tell the truth I am not able :P)

oh..

luckily on september i am going to a race track to learn how to drive properly with my brother (wich now is refusing to teach me saying that i am gonna suicide myself if he does :P)

what s an "mgf" i ve heard that stuff in an elise video from fifth gear i downloaded that said "the shape is so much tougher than the flubby mgf"

so i suppose is some car :P

anyway i am gonna post soon photoes of my elise :P

umm i searched on google mgf

it s the "MG" now i know what car u are talking about :P

hehe i love that car since it s sooo slow that it s one of the few i can beat at flash lights lol :P

The best start depends on a lot of things - fuel, tires (age, temp, pressure, width etc), engine power, road surface.

You'll just have to try a lot of different things until you find something that works - there is no magic formula unfortunately.

The 'MGF' is the car made by Rover. The K-series Elise uses the same familly of engine and gearbox so in some ways it is a good comparison.

I decided to drag run my car for the hell of it up at Crail raceway in Scotland and after 8 runs I found the best technique is quite different from normal launches in RWD. The best result was to

1-Handbrake up

2-Raise revs to 1500rpm-1700rpm odd

2-Load up the drivetrain with clutch tho only enough so you car feel it load up...dont burn the clutch up.

4-Release handbrake, dump clutch and floor it simultaneously.

5-Always upshift at 6500rpm

I got a 60ft time of 2sec dead and a 1/4 of 13.8 doing this. The peak torque is so low and the grip so great the tires only shuffle a little and boom your off. I was beating AWD cars from launch or equalling them. Was great heh.

Its such an unusually low rpm to launch at but hey...the elise aint a normal car. Any higher rpm and the car would wheel spin far too much. im guessing its a combination of its low weight and low peak torque (3000rpm)

Note your tires, road surface/condition/angle/camber and suspension will all affect your launch. TBH if your driving a car like an Elise dont bother with drag racing its not really built for it mate. I just did it for the hell of it.

Also bear in mind Im running a 118bhp S1 K series. It'll be different to launch if your engines is not the base K series.

Archived