litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

It Must Be Silly Season At Petr Smith!

MarkH

Rght - I've stuck up for Peter Smith Sports Cars quite abit over the last 18 months - but now I'm changing my tune!

Called to book in my S1 for an A service & was quoted £410! Had the same job last year plus a steering gaitor fitted for £340. When I asked as to why the different I was told "labour has gone up" - what by over 20%?

They were not prepared to budge so finally called around & went to Nick Whale in Brum. Nice place, nice people good job!

They pointed out that due to the age of my car (1999) I should have a C Service - especially for the cam belt, even though the catr has only done 15 000 miles (most of which since I've had it).

What's the general view on cambelt changeovers? Anyone had a C Service done at Horizon & what do they charge (Nice Nick's wanted about £800!!!!).

Cheers

Mark

B)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your rubber cambelt is 6 years old - 15000 miles or 150,000 miles.

best change it for the sake of £150. add on your A service which should be between £100-£200 and your looking at about £250-£350 which aint too bad.

your rubber cambelt is 6 years old - 15000 miles or 150,000 miles.

best change it for the sake of £150.  add on your A service which should be between £100-£200 and your looking at about £250-£350 which aint too bad.

i thought similar ... car 5 years old only 15 k on clock, got local garage to carry out c service £ 400 all in

Hi Mark,

The only issue here is do you or the next owner value the dealer stamp.

Strongly suspect a stamp from Horizon has as much credability if not more tha a PSSC's stamp on an S1 Elise nowadays.

Bob

Cam belts are 4 yearly now.

Where's that come from Chris ?

My Excel cambelt changed about 5k miles ago, but belt looks like shit on the out side.

Surely this is a mileage/storage not age related issue ??

yes 4 years limited use, but every day use ??

Tell me more buddy B)

Cam belts are 4 yearly now.

Where's that come from Chris ?

My Excel cambelt changed about 5k miles ago, but belt looks like shit on the out side.

Surely this is a mileage/storage not age related issue ??

yes 4 years limited use, but every day use ??

Tell me more buddy B)

I bought a 99 Elise from NW in April and managed to get a free cam belt change from them due to the age of the car - it had never been changed (42000 miles)

I questiond the frequency of changing the belt and the salesman said four years.

It is also mentioned on SELOC.

As it it, the belt is rubber and rubber perishes over time. Better to be safe that sorry.

I rang Smiths about a C service and Cam Belt on my 97 car (18k miles) when i got it as it hadn't ever been changed - and they said ''just over a thousand pounds sir''

ouch... needless to say it went elsewhere!

horizon have always been good to me, main dealers are so expensive, i always used nick whale for everything , until i found horizon, who in my opinion are really good too, but a little cheaper so ur quids in!!! mike and wendy are really friendly too, coffee while u wait etc. B)

Archived