litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hurricane & Insurance.

gerags

Just called Chris Knott about an insurance related issue and casually enquired if fitting a Hurricane would affect my premium.

The nice lady disappeared for a few second retuning to inform me that it would cost an additional £130 due to it affecting the horse power of the car.

:(

Now, I'm (well) over 30 with 6 (or 7) years NCB - so I can't see it being either of those.

Is this the norm ?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chance for insurance company to screw you, sounds like the norm for me..

it sounds expensive to me, but I got a quote with mods I wanted to do included at the start.. so not up on the costs for adding mods.

No change when I did it - they thanked me for telling them !

I did say it was to save on Lotus costs of replacing the air filter as I could wash it myself and the "despite extensive research on the internet I can find no documented increase in engine power".

That was with Direct Line.

How much is your premium?

If its garaged, ok area, I would have thought you should be approx £400 with max no claims, those mods and 3 points....

Am a similar age to you with 99 111s, sport exhaust, air filter, 3 pts.

change insurance, thats a rip off!

They were recommended on this site :D

And Eliseparts are saying there's an increase of 3-5 BHP.

Maybe, but Elise-Shop MAKE the thing and they say 0 increase.

If i sold something costing £160 i'd say it increased performance too as it's more likely to sell then...

change insurance, thats a rip off!

They were recommended on this site :D

And Eliseparts are saying there's an increase of 3-5 BHP.

Maybe, but Elise-Shop MAKE the thing and they say 0 increase.

If i sold something costing £160 i'd say it increased performance too as it's more likely to sell then...

That's exactly what I said to Eliseparts and he didn't deny it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting your word :) - but I need this from a source to prove to the insurer and the chap at EP wouldn't tell me who they were.

As it was, the link to the Hurricane section didn't work on the Elise-shop site so I couldn't confirm it with them.

Especially as my current airbox pipe is decaying and I may as well pop a Hurricane in instead of shelling out for an original box.

But not at a total cost of £300 :D

PS. I mentioned to the insurer that Scott_Mac said there was no power increase, but no matter how respected you are he wouldn't believe me.

Don't think they're interested if it increases power or not, as long as they can charge you more!

I asked if I could put a stainless exhust on as it would last longer than the normal one, and wouldnt increase horsepower, still wanted to charge £200 more, and didnt explain why!

Missed this one, sorry Bramble.

How much is your premium?

If its garaged, ok area, I would have thought you should be approx £400 with max no claims, those mods and 3 points....

Am a similar age to you with 99 111s, sport exhaust, air filter, 3 pts.

My premium is just over £500p.a.

Garaged in Halesowen (B62)

No points on the license.

They just don't want to know, just easier to charge me the £130.

From Elise-Shop.com

The Hurricane Induction system is originally developed on and for the Lotus Elise.

It combines the advantages of an open airfilter (sportsfilter) and an airbox. Besides, the system is gas flowed from side air vent. All these combined features result in:

- Lower flow resistance by using bigger ducting...

- Direct cold air intake..

- Optimised flow, no turbulence..

- Very mature soundtrack

Using the advantage of the sportsfilter and the cold air intake, power and torque gain is obvious!

During the Hurricane airbox development, all components have been optimised by using high-tech aerodynamics systems. Turbulence has been ruled out, which results in a very steady clean and cool air supply.

So that's that knocked on the head.

Tell them you've changed the air filter. Normally costs about £40 admin charge from one of the main run-of-the-mill insurers. Tell them you're thinking of changing insurers and not recommending to any other Lotus driver as they've been so unhelpful :)

To be honest the hurricane doesn't have any really noticable effect upon power, probably get the same if you clean your existing filter :D Just sounds nicer and saves weight

Tell them you've changed the air filter.  Normally costs about £40 admin charge from one of the main run-of-the-mill insurers.  Tell them you're thinking of changing insurers and not recommending to any other Lotus driver as they've been so unhelpful  ;)

To be honest the hurricane doesn't have any really noticable effect upon power, probably get the same if you clean your existing filter :D    Just sounds nicer and saves weight

They've got me over a barrel there - I've only been with the insurers since April and if I cancel within the forst year I have to pay the premium in full (standard procedures)

Will definitely tell them that I won't be using them again, highway robbery :clap:

And I'll fit one just as I'm being quoted for my next insurance - that way it won't be an addition.

Cheers for all the info, guys.

:D

Archived