litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

82oc Thermostat

tazbaz69

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of a thermostat is to open at the stated temperature, in your case it,s 82. It,s closed till it reaches this temperature to allow quicker warm up. When you reach this temp it opens and allows the warmer water around the system and through the rad to be cooled. You will go above the temp in hot weather, heavy traffic but that,s the principle. If you,ve changed it and it,s overheating IMO it,s one of 2 things. You have an air lock in the system stopping the flow or the thermostat is knackered. Hope that helps :)

Is the stat in the right way round? Done this myself before but cant remember if the springy bit goes on the hot water side or the other way round! Air lock could be quite likely like Martin said. Did you manage to sort a bleed nipple for the front hose in the end?

Rus

Is the stat in the right way round? Done this myself before but cant remember if the springy bit goes on the hot water side or the other way round! Air lock could be quite likely like Martin said. Did you manage to sort a bleed nipple for the front hose in the end?

Rus

Yes Rus cheers i finally got a bleed nipple for front pipe, i,ve tried to bleed the system 3 times for air lock, seamed to be sat nicely at around 90ish oC but has gone back up to 120oC. I think the thermostat is in right, :D , might have to check now to make sure. Would if be benifical to take the thermostat out all together??

If you take the thermostat out altogether it will take longer to warm up and possibly run at a slightly lower temp then normal. It could be a good test to prove it one way or the other. I would be reluctant to do it as a long term thing though.

We have had this discussion before i think. There are 2 stats apparently an 82 and an 86 i think. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. Mine runs at 85 to 87 in normal conditions. Some people appear to be a bit higher or a bit lower. I think as long as it,s consistent you are ok. :wacko:

Archived