litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Prague (stag Do)

steve-n

Chris, will you be in trouble when Sonja reads this?  :(

No, not at all, so long as he enjoys himself - I'm quite good like that, really :( . He always prefers coming home after a stag do for a dose of the real thing anyway, much more 'interactive' fun!

B)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to avoid oxford as much as possible now, as its expensive, and my mates (when theres a big gang of them) always go to the highstreet pubs (yates, etc.) and then some crappy club afterwards...

Used to hang out on the cowley rd when I was living there, but my fave haunt when I go back now is the little clarendon street/jericho area.. ...excelent resteraunts and bars down there

b :)

hmm raul's, the duke (I used to work in there), cafe rouge, etc., etc.. theres always some top posh studo' tottie around there too :D

the zodiac brings back bad memories for me; used to go to rubber-duck there on a wed or thurs night and drink snakebite and black and dance to drum and bass downstairs from opening to close :)

there were always a lot of good live music spots around the cowley rd as well, but I dont really know whats going on with the local music scene there now; been living away from oxford for 9yrs now!!!

Yes had a good night in the Zodiac when I went to see Dave Angel (Techno DJ), was a big fan of his and didn't know he was playing untill we were there - quality! :D

upper toilet floors a bit minging though! :)

ps..  if your ever in oxford (my home town) then go to freuds; similar idea, except its a nightclub/bar in an old church (the church of dance perhaps?!..) Its not a bad night out, but its not as well finished and presented as gatto pardo cafe.

Yeah i know freuds. Funnily enough i was a student in oxford for 4 years. Some good bars - Little Clarendon Street / Walton Street are nice - Raouls (sp?) used to be my favourite until it got refurbished - then just became just like all the other crappy minimalist places - Shame really - the old raouls was awesome.

Freuds is ok but they didn't do enough with the building and not a brilliant atmosphere - stupidly strong cocktails though... :)

Its not a patch on gattopardocafe though - not the night i went anyway. We weren't on the guest list but somehow managed to blag our way in on the condition that we bought 2 bottles of vodka! 100E a go but they did open the vip balcony bit for us

upper toilet floors a bit minging though!  :)

You wanna see how mingy it gets when its jammed full of bass-heads and someone like andy c is playing :D

Not been to D&B thing for a while now I'm afraid! used to be a good night on at Derby called technique on thurs when I was a student, DJ SS etc etc. Saw LTJ Bukem twice at the Conservatory and DJ Storm at Newquay was good!, was just after Kemistry had died! :)

LTJ is the man!... been getting back into the d'n'b more and more recently as the radio seems to be full of crap and its much better background music... d'n'b, boards of canada and plaid is about all I have on at work now (its driving people who sit by me nuts :D )

old rauls rocked; used to go in there for a few when I was finished in the duke... freuds could be so much more than it is, but I guess the owners are just making money out of it anyway so dont care... Was the horse and jockey open when you were in oxford? that was a good haunt for 1st year ladies too; voted sexiest bar/pub clientel in the county!

Never heard of the Horse and Jockey?

Yep, Boards of Canada are good!

Not listened to D&B for a long time now - Started off on Jungle and Drum and Bass. Then went onto (proper) house music, then techno, now I'm half Indie, Kings of Leon, etc and half whatevers decent, Andrew Weatherall, Aphex Twin, Massive Attack, Air, Jimmy Edgar, Radiohead and lots of other stuff I have on iTunes.

Horse and Jockey - that was on the corner on Woodstock Rd wasn't it? Now converted to flats? If its the one i think it is then yes i did go - My department was by the beautiful Engineering Building on Banbury Road so Little Clarendon St etc were the locals. Happy hr cocktails at the duke, then off to beat cafe....

What was the pub called on Plantation Road - Very small run by an Irish family. Was like sitting in their front room - Only found that in my 3rd/4th year. Think that has closed aswell now.

Rich

Thanks for all the tips on Prague, we had a blast for 4 days and nights. got back this morning and in work for 9am,

i'm feeling the lack of sleep at the moment, but should be okay for a works party in London on Thursday with free beer !!

Archived