litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nurburgring Nordschleife

JonS

So, having just done the Nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps last Sunday & Monday, I've finally recovered to get some videos up. The Ring is just an awesome place, and once you've driven it you can really get a sense of respect for those that know it like the back of their hand and put in the sub-8 minute laps.

We did 4 laps this time (I did 3 laps 2 years ago) and could definitely start to learn a few sections of the track to get some good corners, but it is just such a massive track it would take a long time (and a lot of €€'s) to start to put in some consistent times. This lap clocks in at 10:03, but I was held up quite badly by a few cars at the end, and also at a few other points. The silver Z4 I'm following to start with is my mate who 'knows' the circuit from the Playstation, and to be fair it did help following him over some of the blind crests and corners.

My new car setup was brilliant, however I think the suspension was set slightly too hard, bounding through the carrousel was hilarious the first time, it is incredibly rough whether you're on the inside or the outside so you may as well hit the inside with gritted teeth!

No matter what your perception of The Ring is, you really have to go there to appreciate the size of it, and also how easy it is to get hypnotised by the 3 lines of armco, a ten foot high mesh fence and then huge conifer forrest towering above on each side. It is a real dangerous place (you see the unlucky ones several times a day on the back of the recovery truck), but I can really recommend having a go. I got a lot of satisfaction hooking up some great corners, and then relief rounding the last few corners and giving it some down the 1 1/4mile straight to the track exit.

Anyway, enough blurb, here's the video:

Spa video to follow soon.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice video Jon, great stuff! :clap:

Glad to see you all had such a great time....and most importantly all got back i one piece. Have to agree with your comments on the Ring, it should definitely be experienced as there really is nowhere else quite like it, scared me to death though if i'm honest! :drive:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tracey. It was a lot quieter this time than when we went back in '09. My car does sound a lot beefier than it probably is - which i really like about it! :D

Love to go back and do more laps, it is a great place!

Archived