Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Cup Europe Report

Mark H

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/default.asp?storyId=10874

Lotus Cup Europe report

Monday 6th June

Consistency rather than speed makes a winner

Last weekend, the third race of the Lotus Cup Europe took place at the Eurospeedway Lausitzring. The Eurospeedway Lausitzring is a modern and fast track in the former East Germany, situated between Berlin and Dresden. Built only five years ago, four weeks ago Mika Häkkinen drove the fastest lap there in 1 min 17s (159 km/h) during a race of the German touring car series (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters -- DTM) with his Mercedes-Benz C-class.

Last year the Lotus Cup Europe was established with the presentation of the Lotus Exige. The races were based on regularity, rather than on who arrives first: the driver with the most constant lap times wins the race. This choice was made in order to test the feedback and because of German and French insurance policies which usually cover regularity events, but not races. With 20 - 30 cars on average, this form of race has been a success, but it was criticised by those who value speed over regularity, and consequently prefer standard races.

So this year the Lotus Cup Europe offers both types of competition on the same weekend: the regularity event and the standard race.

The regularity event is open to all Lotus Models based on the Elise chassis (Elise S1 & S2, 340R, Exige S1 & S2, Motorsport Elise), the drivers only need a valid road licence and a one-day race licence from the event organiser.

The race event is only open to the (road-legal) Exige Cup cars, and the entrants must have a A race licence. The Exige Cup cars have their own race in the Pirelli Sport trophy, an established series in the GTP-Motorsport weekend organised by Rudi Philipp, with approx. 40 other cars, all of them top sport cars like Porsche 911 or Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale.

Last year I followed the Lotus Cup Europe as journalist and photographer. I have already driven many powerful cars and written road tests, but so far I was none too keen on the idea of entering a race myself. But Lotus' European PR man Andreas Männer asked me if I would like to drive one race to experience the other perspective and I grabbed this opportunity.

Driver briefing

The day started early at seven with paperwork. Half an hour later the driver briefings began. The 18 drivers from four different nations all had different levels of track experience on the track, ranging from complete newcomers to fully experienced professionals like Francois Libert (Team Marcassus), a former test-driver for Matra Sports and Jaguar.

First training session

The weather conditions were good for the first, 20-minute training session that started at 0800. I had a stop watch with me, but I used the time only to get a feel for the track and car. I have already driven the Cup Exige on the road, but this car had been modified for track work.

The Öhlins dampers surprised me positively on the track. On the road I was under the impression that the suspension of the Cup Exige was more sensitive than the Bilstein dampers of the standard Exige, especially on the German Autobahn at high speed, due to the grooves. On the track the car feels much more comfortable and secure. Martin Roos (Team RED Motorsport) drove the fastest lap with his lightweight (carbon clamshell and hard top) Exige Cup in 2 min 11s. I was 14th.

Second training session

At 1300, the second training session started and the weather conditions hadn't changed. The conditions seemed optimal for Yokohama A048 semi-slicks that stick tight to the asphalt. My strategy was not to battle with the other competitors but to learn more about both the car and the track, and work up to a faster speed. In comparison with the legendary Nürburgring - Nordschleife, the track is easy to learn, being only 2.8 miles long with good places for overtaking.

Martin Roos drove the fastest lap in 2 min 9s and qualified for pole. After 25 minutes I landed fourth place, just behind local hero Sepp Melkus (Team Lotus Cars), son of the former racing driver Peter Melkus, who was driving a Elise 111s.

The car felt good, nevertheless mechanics from Lotus Cars checked and prepared it for the regularity race. They optimised tyre pressures, adjusted the dampers and checked the oil. There was nothing more to do.

Regularity race

In the regularity race, drivers had completely different strategies. For example, 70-year-old Thilo Schadrack (Team RED Motorsport) had no fewer than four stopwatches and a lap timer in his Elise 111s, with helped him drive as consistently as possible. Lutz Kleberhoff (Team RED Motorsport) had created computer software which, when combined with GPS, allowed him to control his lap times.

Other drivers weren't too interested in regularity itself but wanted to have fun so they drove as fast as possible. My strategy was to drive fast, but not too fast, and consistently -- which is not easy with traffic around you.

Lutz Kleberhoff won the race with only four penalty points, followed by Thilo Schadrack with nine penalty points and Bernard Fuchs (Team Marcassus). Francois Libert had a problem during the reference lap just in front of me, I had to brake very hard, the following laps I was getting faster and faster, in consequence I ended in the 12th place with 234 penalty points.

It was a great a experience to see the other side of the perspective. I had much fun, more than expected, I never had such adrenalin rushes while driving on the street.

Which did I prefer? Both types were great and I hope I'll get the chance to repeat the experience one day in another race series, but for a job as journalist on the pit wall, you don't need that much training.

Other Lotus news

The supercharger, already fitted in the sold-out, limited Edition Sport Exige 240R, will soon be available from Lotus Motorsport to the Exige Cup - cars. Fitted in the facility at Hethel or at one of the 9 official Lotus Cup dealers in Europe the Exige will develop 243 hp instead of the current 189 hp, which definitely will increase the competition of the Lotus between the Porsche and Ferrari on the track.

Lotus Cup Europe will continue this year:

* 19 June: Spa Francorchamps (Belgium) - race event only

* 3 July: Colmar (Luxemburg) - regularity event only

* 24 July Anneau du Rhin (France) - regularity event only

* 15-16 August: Assen (Netherlands) - regularity event only

* 18 September: Dijon (France) - regularity & race event

* 2 October: Monza (Italy) - regularity & race event

There are already plans for one race on a UK track -- either Silverstone or Donington next year.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived