litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Power By The Can!

ryan.wilkinson

Just spending 5 mins looking around t'internet and came across a NOS octane product that claims an increase in Ron points of 7 over standard unleaded. Now on that basis if I use super unleaded that has a 3(?) increase over standard and then added this product I would be 10 points over standard. So the questions are 1) Is this claim of a 7 point increase rubbish and if not 2) what difference would it make to a car??? Anyone know?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming your running a K Series, the Elise doesnt sense the change in fuel RON so it wont change anything as it doesnt have a knock sensor.

I agree with Beefcake. Some people say 'Ultimate' or 'Optimax' fuel works better (which it may do, although I'm yet to try it) but I think this is to do with the fact that it has additives to burn better, because the engine definitely isn't taking advantage of the higher RON rating.

I thought that a knock sensor only enabled a car to run on lower grade fuel. If a car's ECU is set up to run on 98RON and 95RON is used then the knock sensor will adjust fueling/timing/air to run without inconvenient detonation issues.

If the car was setup to run on 95RON then putting 98RON in would have no effect.

?

:lol:

Best octance booster i've ever found is 'Nitrox Hot Shot', available from Halfrauds at about 7-8quid a bottle which I think treats about 15 litres of fuel (so it aint cheap!). If we're talking about the same Nos product it's a bit cheaper and treats abouts 60 litres I think so is obviously a bit less 'special'. Think the claims on the packaging are a little ambitious though with all of them tbh.

No idea whether it'll be any good in a lotus though :) , although I guess it won't break the bank to give it a try. :lol:

Optimax is usually liked for its engine cleaning abilities in Elises rather than anything else.

I'd deffo ditto that Mark, the stepper motor for idle on the Tivver is a commom point of sooting up and requires a carb cleaner 5 minute wash and brush up.

Notice when on optimax as the most used fuel it does without doubt require this operation much less.

And does run better, but the Tivver does state quite clearly run on high RON fuel , still no knock sensors on it thought Steve ?

Archived