litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

HGF !!!

JohnnyM

Suffered my first HGF yesterday on the Hagley Road. :D Had to abort and get the AA out when i got to The Dog at Bearwood.

Passed a pressure test and then blew up after a coolant refill.

Have to say Nick Whales have been great, dropped it off yesterday and they've lent me a car to get home and to work in each day.

Symptoms were sludgy coolant and pressure release through the cap and excessive fluctuating temperatures

Was booked in for C service on monday, glad this happened beforehand !!!

Johnny M

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NW wanted 625 for a C service and is charging me 750ish for a C inc. HG change and head skim.

So not gonna grumble too much. Thought about going DVA while i was waiting for the AA guy. Not too bothered about increasing power at this point though. Want to sharpen the handling up first before i introduce more power !

They are not charging you too much on top then, not as bad as I expected.

I think DVA replaces the components for structurally stronger parts to stop it happening again.

See how it goes I guess, lucky you caught it before it did too much damage!

absolutely, as i said, no mayo in the oil or obvious oil in the coolant. Ian said that they had an HGF in when i arrived yesterday and the customer had supplied a Mike Satur Gasket. But yeah, if it was this time next week I'd have had my C done, and be in for another huge bill !

Did your temperature fluctuate over a long period of time?? or did it start fluctuating over a week/few days??? and what was the fluctatuion like?? was it all over the place or a gradual increase up to silly temps???

i just noticed the normal temp increase by a degree or so each week, upto about 89 then i noticed the strange coolant increase/decrease scenario etc.. then 4 days later i noticed the colour was light brown in the header tank, then another 2 days later I was at the side of the road with a steaming header tank and HGF with 115 flashing on the stack.

DOH!! well i'm glad to say that my temp hasn't Risen at all, and has in fact dropped a degree or 2 probably due to air lock begin removed so there aren't super hot gasses getting in the way of my loverly coolant :D

Had a recent HGF on mine, none of the usual "look for these" just high temperatures.

All fixed now, luckily under warranty and a new cambelt too.

Archived