litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Bloody Police

SOUPS

a mate of mine bought a car last month and she had it on her drive she just took it to her local garage to have it checked and got pulled over by police for not having insurance and Tax.. whats the (average) fine for that and points on license? :rolleyes:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats unlucky :rolleyes:

No insurance carries 6 points and i think its the same for no tax, so she could loose her license. Would probably be a good idea to take it to court when the summons comes through, and get a good solicitor to plead her case. That is if they try and do her for both offences. They may just offer her the 6 points for no insurance and a fine.

Doubt it would have been random, alot of the police cars now have the automatic plate reading cameras in them, which will alert the coppers if it reads a plate on a car that their records show has no tax or insurance and soon no MOT. Probably does stolen cars and maybe banned drivers vehicles too.

I don't support many Police policies on road traffic law, but I'm sorry to have to say that your friend did act a bit irresponsibly, whether through ignorance or intentionally I don't know. If she had been in an accident the consequences could have been disastrous for the other party involved. You never ever drive without insurance and tax. NEVER. I know it's a big temptation to take a chance in a situation like your friend was in, but it's a big risk!

Hopefully they won't be too heavy handed with her and she won't do it again will she...

No sympathy from me, if she wasnt insured or taxed she gets what she deserves IMHO, no excuses.

Got to agree with Beefcake, what does she think she was doing? No tax may be an oversight but I have to pay it, No insurance just irresponsible no sympathy and she deserves what ever she gets.

Well if she had no tax because of no MOT and she was taking to the garage for MOT work then my sympathies.

If it was just uninsured and taxed because she can't afford or not bothered then that's a different matter. Too many people are getting shafted because the've been hit by uninsured drivers.

Not even sorry to say, No sympathy from me, if she wasnt insured or taxed she gets what she deserves IMHO, no excuses.

If she was taking it to be mot'ed so she could get it tax'ed, it would be another thing. But no insurance!!!! No excusse

If you have ever been hit by an uninsured car driver you will know why........

Having been hit very hard in the passenger side righting off my 14 month old car costing £14k by an uninsured driver living at home with his parents and no disposable income..

Left me off the road for a several months, while my insurance company messed me about not wanting to pay up while they pursued the uninsured party, and unable to work for 3 1/2 weeks with injuries. When I was well enought to work I couldn't because I didn't have a car and and some of my camera equipment was damaged.

I had only gone self employed about 4 month earlier back then, having put all my savings in to setting myself up in business. Things had been going well untill then, but it put me out of business. the Police wasn't much help ether, didn't even bother to follow it up at the time?

When the insurance paid up it was nothing like what my car was valued at, at the time of the crash. All the money ended up covering the debts that amounted while I was off the road.

I ended up having to get a job and it was nine months before I could get another car which was just a £ 600 run about.

I am onlly glad that I never meet this person again, because I might have ended up doing time if I did.

i believe if you are driving to a garage for a pre-booked mot test or mot repair work, you dont need tax or mot... ...however you do need insurance, so that was a big oversight.

Apparently 1 in 5 people drive without insurance, but thats no excuse. You can always get someone else to drive your car who has 3rd party cover through their own policy if you just need the car checking out at a garage

You can always get someone else to drive your car who has 3rd party cover through their own policy if you just need the car checking out at a garage

That loophole has been filled. Most, if not all, policies which offer 3rd party any other vehicle state that the 'other vehicle' must be insured by the vehicle owner.

You can always get someone else to drive your car who has 3rd party cover through their own policy if you just need the car checking out at a garage

That loophole has been filled. Most, if not all, policies which offer 3rd party any other vehicle state that the 'other vehicle' must be insured by the vehicle owner.

She just bought the car the day before so she is going to register it under her sister name and she can use evidence that she is fully comp on another car so she gets 3rd party on other cars..

Sounds like as long as she presents documents at the police station she'll be OK on the insurance front.

As regards tax, can she prove that she was on the way to a garage? Does she have the bill of sale with a date on it?

If she goes to court, she should please "common sense". Still guilty of the technical crimes, but statistically these random checks will always throw up people who've just bought cars. Common sense should prevail and she'd get off with a nominal fine & penalty.

She just bought the car the day before so she is going to register it under her sister name and she can use evidence that she is fully comp on another car so she gets 3rd party on other cars..

Only if it is insured by her sister, which if it was something she was going to do it probably hasn't been done yet. If the car has no insurance on it's own, her own 3rd party probably doesn't work. She needs to read her policy.

She can't just register it in someone elses name and use her 3rd party insurance, someone needs to have the car insured!

Also to quote your 1st post

"a mate of mine bought a car last month and she had it on her drive she just took it to her local garage to have it checked and got pulled over by police for not having insurance and Tax."

which was it? She's had it a month or a day?

Archived