litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Roof Cleaning

DunkHSP

Just wondereing if anyone has any tips on cleaning the rag top? Unfortunately I don't have a garage so the elements get a good chance at things.

Also does anyone use any waterproofing on there soft top? I know it says not to in the manual but my roof seems to let in the wet when sat in the rain a bit too much.

I'm guessing a shower cape would help if its parked up and I know its gonna pee it down.

Cheers

Dunk.

Did some searching around on the net and the daddy of all cleaners seems to be made by a company called Renovo. Have to say it looks pretty fly. Priced like rocking horse sh*t though. Check it out at Renovo Cleaner

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recommendation for cleaning is car shampoo - same as that used on the bodywork. You can get special bottles of stuff - Autoglym do one - but seems like overkill.

Reapplication of waterproofing is worthwhile. The main canvass rarely gets porous but the drips are where it collects at the corners rather than beading and running straight off as it should. A good dowsing with a can of Fabsil (camping shops stock it) will restore the hygroscopic qualities.

Recommendation for cleaning is car shampoo - same as that used on the bodywork. You can get special bottles of stuff - Autoglym do one - but seems like overkill.

Reapplication of waterproofing is worthwhile. The main canvass rarely gets porous but the drips are where it collects at the corners rather than beading and running straight off as it should. A good dowsing with a can of Fabsil (camping shops stock it) will restore the hygroscopic qualities.

Don't you mean hydrophobic qualities? I think hydroscopic & hygroscopic refers to a materials ability to absorb moisture rather than repel it, might be wrong.

Also, just had the TVR "wet bits" sorted by Mike at Horizon Motorsport.

Ask about the stuff they used on my rag top bits.

It's probably called "Moses" as it seems to divide and separate the rain. drops.

Bloody good stuff and no leaks now, at all.

Bob

I can recommend the autoglym stuff... its not too expensive, but does a good job of bringing the colour back to the roof fabric, and also tightening it up a bit; my sisters boxter gets used in all weather and the roof got a bit tatty. A couple of applications of that stuff and its like a new roof! Think it was about £5-£7 or something

I can put in another vote for the autoglym, I cleaned mine last night. I didn't think it looked too bad when I first got the car but when it was parked between a couple of other Elises at the Donny show I realised it looked a bit faded in comparison but it has scubbed up well now though!

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the Autoglym stuff and also the waterproofer as an extra.

Hopfeully me and the homophobic roof will be sorted for the next shower!!

:D

PS: Getting a compact Alpine sub fitted on Friday, I'll post some photos and comments on the results.

Archived