litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Insurance Yikes!

Daniel

Well, so far I've had a chat to Directline.  Nice guys.  Apparently they'll give me my 6 years NCB back, with NCB protection and it works out at £914.00 for the year.  Unfortunately they want tracker fitted.  Anyone know how much that is (Install and monthly subs)?

Sonya insures hers with them (and I insured the same car with them for 3 years). They told her to fit a tracker, so she asked them how they'd been insuring that very car for me with her as a named driver, with no tracker for 3 years. Why did they then need a tracker for the same car, with the same drivers at the same address, etc, etc...

Strangely enough, they couldn't answer that and waived the requirement.

If you get them to refer it to their underwriters, and tell them what you've seen here about other with same cars / policies / etc, they'll probably drop the tracker thing.

Chris

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers for the info Chris, I'll give it a bash.

I called Tracker, for the cheapest "Retriever" system, it's £299 to fit and £109 a year or £325 for your ownership of the car.

Oh no Dan!

My heart hurts for you. I now feel terribly sorry for making fun of your accident the other day (as it was all in good fun and I only did it because of your smug remark :D ). Anyways, I just got in an accident yesterday :( . My car was not anything half as cool as yours (92 dodge shadow...faaaaancyyyyy) but, nonetheless, it's not worth it to get it fixed and it can't be driven anymore (I severely screwed up the front end of it) so, I'm having do deal with the insurance company right now too. Let me tell ya, they're no better here than they are in England! So, it appears that although we do not agree on which sex is superior (lol), we can at least share this miserable experience together!

Let me know how it works out!

Ok, phoned Churchill and they won't consider my NCB as I want to insure the car that I had an accident in by using the NCB from a policy that hasn't been used for 18 months. I think I'll give one more place a ring on Tuesday and go from there.

I can't quite get my head around why some places insist on Tracker. I would have though that'd be more appropriate for car's which are more likely to get stolen. I've heard of only 2 Elises ever been stolen. Even joyriders wouldn't have much fun as they can't put their mates in the back and pump up the stereo :P

Krista, what happened?!? Hope that you're ok though. I found the first few days after the accident I was as miserable as sin but that feeling goes away, so don't stress. No hard feelings for your comments :D Look on the bright side, at least you get to pick a new car and thats always pretty exciting, have you got idea's on what you want. I'll send a Lotus over if you want :(

Hi again Dan! Thanks for the words of encouragement. You're right...I certainly do feel like crap! Other than that, I'm fine, as are the people that were in the other car. My car had about $3, 500 worth of damage (which, I guess would equate to 1, 600 GBP (sorry, I don't have that fancy little 'L' sign that you English use for pounds :D ). The other person's car was estimated at $250 or about 110 pounds. So, I definately took the brunt of it! I was trying to make a left hand turn across two lanes of traffic (let's not forget that we drive on the other side of the road here so, it's the left turns that cut across the other lane, not the right). Anyways, a big mother of a truck stopped to let me in as traffic was crazy. I thought that was very nice of him! Unfortunately, his truck was so massive that I couldn't see around him. At first, I didn't go because I couldn't see anything but then I started inching my way forward to try and see if someone was coming or if I could turn. The front nose of my car was just passed the truck and as soon as I got the point that I could see, I could see a car just about to hit me at full speed. Yeaup, that was fun!

So, unfortunately I cannot blame this one on 'the other guy' because he was driving perfectly properly. I accept responsibility for this one...but not intentionally! I was by no means being unsafe or using poor judgement, I just couldn't see a bloody thing! The trucker was waving me on but, I didn't trust him so, I went slowly at my own pace. Good thing I didn't listen to his 'everything's clear' signal or I wouldn't just gone fully into the turn and been side swiped as opposed to hit on the very front end.

So, as for now, there is no car in my life and there probably won't be one any time soon! I'm moving to Toronto at the end of August or early Sept. and they have a FANTASTIC public transit system. Driving in Toronto is CRAZY and because of that, insurance rates for anyone living there are through the roof! So, I'll just make it through the summer 'sans automobile' (which highly disappointed Rob because I won't be able to, now these are his words, 'chauffeur him about' while he's over! He was just kidding though...he listened to me cry for about an hour on Thursday night and was very comforting...thanks babe). Now, that's not to say that I'd turn you down if you sent over a lotus... :wacko:

Well, this response ended up being much much longer than I originally anticipated!

Bummer, just filled the entire thing in online, and when clicking submit at the end I get a 404 not found error. Will try them next week them and explain my case.

Krista - Rob was a passenger in mine, and has no doubt been a passenger in yours too, and we've both had accidents, do you think he's a bad omen? :blink: (Sorry Rob)

Krista - Rob was a passenger in mine, and has no doubt been a passenger in yours too, and we've both had accidents, do you think he's a bad omen? ;) (Sorry Rob)

I'd never thought of that! Perhaps Robert is the cause of all of our troubles :P

Anyone planning on bringing Rob into your car...fare thee warned! Be afraid...be very afraid ;)

Krista - Rob was a passenger in mine, and has no doubt been a passenger in yours too, and we've both had accidents, do you think he's a bad omen? ;) (Sorry Rob)

I'd never thought of that! Perhaps Robert is the cause of all of our troubles :P

Anyone planning on bringing Rob into your car...fare thee warned! Be afraid...be very afraid ;)

Hang on a second! I think it just shows how fearless I am in that I'm willing to get into cars that have the 'pending accident mark' on them...

Archived