litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Boot Release Cable

Bramble111s

Just been quote 58squid or so to replace cable and handle, my cable is very stiff and the handle rod is very rusty. I assume its cheaper to replace before it breaks?

Am I missing a trick on this, as I have read ages ago about peeps doing it themselves, only I think I read it was a clam off job and a bit damn tricky?

Any advise please?

thanks in advance (i Hope! ;) )

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better to do it before it breaks, pain to open the boot otherwise!!

To buy the cable is about 30quid+ so 25 on top to fit is not bad and yes it really is a pig of a job unless you have very small hands.

IIRC, £8 cable from Peter Smiths (Yes, really) and I fitted it myself without clam off. Admittedly I didn't bother with one of the grommets, but I also didn't need to remove the speaker, wheel arch liner.

A couple of years ago, so it's a bit hazy, but it is DIY if you want it to be. Depends how much you value the other £50 :D

Took me half a day to do mine - so £50 sounds pretty good!

Wheel arch liners should come off, speaker panels & then it's pretty simple. Good instructions available on the web - elisenet.com.

Mark

:D

Bit awkward. Not to bad though.

Take the speaker pod thing out, undo the nut at the back of the cable. Pull the cable out (towards the front of the car) Snip the end off with some decent snips. TAPE the end of the old cable to the BOOT END of the new one. Make sure you use some really good tape. Duck tape is best i think. Also make sure it's only 1 wrap as the tape needs to fit through the nut that you just undid. Once the 2 cables are stuck together, carfully pull the old one out from the boot end. Take care not to pull the old nutthrough with the cable. Hey presto the new one is in! Just connect it to the release mechanism and put the nut back on the handle end.

Hmm, cheers all, will probally go the mechanic route, although it does sound kinda straight forward.

What about future proofing? As my pull handle part has gone rusty within a year, I guess it needs more lovin' How do people care for this part?

Archived