litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

An Idea About Speed Cameras!

Scottuk04

I had a thought last night when driving home from the snowdome in tamworth (no thought jokes please!) :crybaby:

as anyone driving on that road will know theres loads of fixed gatso speed cameras.. Grrrrr!

In some places theres two lanes in the same direction and only one camera on that side..

I didnt take a close look or anything but im sure there must be only one camera in that unit and how can it measure the distance on two seperate lanes? Theres the same type of camera down the road from me on a normal single lane street which only measures the one side of the road as the other side is going the opposite way!

Plus if theres a lorry going on the outside closest to the camera and you fly past on the inside lane how can the camera pick you up then aswell!

with all this in mind I didnt fancy testing my theory!

but I cant see how the camera can take your speed on a dual lane road!

Anyone got any thoughts or had the same idea and tried it!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually the camera is only calibrated for one lane (ie lined up accurately enough to stand up in court or marginal cases). Unfortunately, you never know which one if there's two lanes.

Try driving on the wrong side of the road * as there'll be no lines at all.

*obviously, disclaimer here..... can't possibly condone this sort of behaviour :crybaby:

Do the careras not take two pics. and your speed is judged by the distance traveled between the two?? Thats why there are a set of marks on both lanes??

While on the speed camera thing. The one outside where i work in Chesterfield has been set on fire!! Oh how a laughed when i first saw it! :angry::angry::angry:

Wasn't me though!! Officer!!

I know a 'friend' who unintentionally tried this!!

He spotted a camera at the last minute and swerved onto the other side of the road. Smart idea you may think. WRONG.

He got done, plus instead of the usual standard penalties, he had to go see a man in a wig and explain his reasons for using the wrong side of the road!!!

Dog in road etc didn't work and not only did he get a bigger fine, he had to pay court costs!!!

Second point. A guy i know races in the BSB Championship, and was asked a couple of years ago to test some speed camera theories!!!

He managed to get through the camera without it flashing. (Well technically it flashed the first time, but when the 2nd flash came he was beyond the scope of the camera!!) Job done you may think. But the speed trap that was set up clocked him at 167mph.

Anyones Elise do that?? And would be willing to have a go???? :(

Still not sure about the overtaking Lorry situation, but ive often thought this on the M42.

If the camera's are of the gatso type, then they only work on vehicles travelling away from the camera, ie... after you have passed it.

A lot of these type cameras do have markings on both sides of the road, but the markings on the approaching side are just there to get you to slow down... they cannot register speed.

If the camera's are of the truvello type, then they catch you as you approach the camera.

You can find lots of information here

Archived