litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Brakes

dobbo

Had braided flexis fitted and a complete fluid change - still don't like them compared to the MMCs.

MMCs - firm pedal, short travel.

EBC disks and Green Stuff pads - spongy feel and long travel. They have been well bled, so it's not that.

Anyone else driven both and can confirm whether or not this is normal ?

I've got an unused set of Pagid 42 fronts. Is it worth trying them, or should I be looking at a full set to keep them matched ?

Cheers

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

green stuff are toss from what ive heard. Mine has them on at the moment so i will report back when ive driven with them. iv always been happy with my std 111s brakes - think i will be ditching the green stuffs and going for pagids. worth a try and no problem mixing front/rears

If they're still feeling spongy, they're either not bedded in yet and/or need to be bled again. Quite common to have to bleed them more than once to get all the air out. It's simply not possible for it to be spongey once all the compressible materials have been eliminated.

... still don't like them compared to the MMCs ...

Chris in short you wont like them, but will learn to change with them.

I did a front end swap to EBC Steelies when the MMC got buggered on the N/S/F and Greenstuff pads.

They do work in the wet though, compromise ????

<EDIT>

If someone tells you they should be ok or won't be without having done the swap, tell them to go f away, cause it will be bs.

EBC are toss.

SEOT

Fitting the Pagid's will improve things, probably worth fitting the rear pads the same, but not 100% essential.

I know a lot of folk who run Geary's front discs, EBC rear discs and Pagid pads all round (some use RS42's, others RS14's) Slightly pricey, but you could do it in stages.... as it stands though, swap the EBC fronts for the Pagids, should be an improvement.

Dobbo,

Don't forget you need to remove the front calipers and invert to do a proper job of bleeding the fronts.

I used to run green stuff - they seemed fine.

Good pedal but just lacked bite.

Now got Mintex -1455?? / turbogrove disks / stainless hoses. - Very good performance / cost balance. Firm pedal and not much travel.

Dunc

Cheers all,

Just bled all round. Got some (not much, thougu) out of one front and diagonally opposite rear. Nothing out of the other 2 though.

Much better. Still not MMC-like, but no longer got the long travel they had earlier.

I'll finish wearing the Green Stuffs out and then go for the Pagids.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took the Green Stuff off the fronts and they've got a tapered, plastic thing behind the pad. I imagine this is an anti-squeal pad, but it's caused the tops of the pads to wear down to the bottom of the groove whilst the bottom is still nearly 8mm think !!!!

Pad life halved :D

Anyway, Pagid RS14s fitted (the spares were 14s not 42s) and the first 20 miles done and nice brake pedal again. Initial bite is back, and less spongy. Whether it was the pads of the backing things, who knows ? Who cares ??

Now, am I OK with 14s on the front and Green Stuff on the back for a bit ? Rear pads have about 2.5mm until they need doing (ie still 5mm material).

Chris

Archived