litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

I Got It

SpoonZ

:blush:

its sat in the garage now.

been out for a 20 mile stint, nothing quick as too many shopping carts "enjoying the scenery"

enjoyed a few roundabouts though, just on and off throttle playing with the balance a little. Going to take me quite a while to work to the limit i think

miles and miles more poise and feedback than the subaru or honda, but then i expected that.

Couple of questions

Why the HELL do people insist on putting stereos in? anyone want a sony MD head unit ? :(

Also if i remove the head unit is their a blanking kit available?

What range should the idle temps be? mine hovered around 78-82 on the run and rose to 91-92 when sat in traffic once.

The gear selection is stiffer than im used to. needs more push to get into second and fifth. Maybe not stiff?!!! maybe just i need more accuracy on lever movement.

any way, i hope this is the start of something special. Im planning a trip to scotland as we speak :blush:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoonz, I have the piece of dash insert that fits in if you don't want the stereo in your car. Let me know if your interested, my e mail address is in my profile, thats also my phone number.

Russ

Spoonz

Glad you've got it.

I agree about the stereo's - inaudible much over 60mph, specially if you've got sports exhaust, induction etc. Some take the opposite view and put in systems with enough grunt to overwhelm the mechanical din!

Temperature fluctuations are completely normal I'd say. Most cars just gt a needle which sticks resolutely in the middle of its arc and provides little measurable information, whereas the Stack display makes Elise owners obsessive. With good reason - HGF's aren't unheard of, but you're within parameters and the fan doesn't cut in until (I think) 102C.

Most gear linkages are lousy - worst feature of the car. It can be improved with a linkage kit which takes out some of the imprecision, but it won't be a knife through butter like some front-engined changes where the lever and box are closer together. Might be worth looking at your clutch actuation at the same time if it's a continuing problem.

Otherwise, ENJOY!

thanks all,

shift isnt what i would call bad but when i consider that, as you say, box and lever are fairly distant, it makes sense.

stereo is even more pointless than i first realised as its a mini disc player :( what use is that to me

been going through the paperwork and found the orignal order when the buyer got his build slot. He ticked every factory fit option and most dealer fit apart from the hard top. so i got extras i didnt know about.

fog lights, paint protection, ally door winders, ally gear lever, radio kit etc etc. he must have been minted :blush:

already considering a track day as I know i wont get the full benefit on road at all.

Anyone recomend a good starter track and a decent insturctor for some driver training.

First stop should be some airfield training with Andrew Walsh of 1st Lotus / Carlimits. Currently holed up in North Weald, Essex (long way but it's cheap) and although he's coming closer, fees will be going up considerably when he has to move out in the summer. Budget £150.

Only after you've learnt how to control the car when it's going out of shape should you attempt a track. Best for first-timers is supposed to be Bedford (although I've not been). Enrol with Lotus on Trackif you plan to do several. Mark A on here is a Director and they are the best run events and mostly Lotus-specific (so you won't be duelling with 205's & Scoobies).

:blush:

Why the HELL do people insist on putting stereos in? anyone want a sony MD head unit ? :P

Also if i remove the head unit is their a blanking kit available?

What range should the idle temps be? mine hovered around 78-82 on the run and rose to 91-92 when sat in traffic once.

The gear selection is stiffer than im used to. needs more push to get into second and fifth. Maybe not stiff?!!! maybe just i need more accuracy on lever movement.

1. I love my stereo - can't drive without it ! some good tunes just about the exhaust note with the hood down is essential in my book :blush:

The blanking bit should be readily available. lots of owners should have it.

Temps are different on all cars - yours sounds fine.

gear selection should be fine - check the linkage is on correct.

Most importanty..enjoy it - you've made the right decision :(

Why the HELL do people insist on putting stereos in? anyone want a sony MD head unit ? :blush:

LOL! :blush: Well, I spent two weekends wiring in a new sound system to Graeme's old S1 (much to Graeme's disgust I'm sure). Personally I love the exhaust note from the sports exhaust, but i also love to take a "spirited" drive to the sounds of AC DC, Guns & Roses etc so a decent stereo is a must. With a subwoofer in there you can easily get something to compete with the engine, while at the same time you can still HEAR the engine so you get the best of both worlds... :(

LOL! :D Well, I spent two weekends wiring in a new sound system to Graeme's old S1 (much to Graeme's disgust I'm sure). Personally I love the exhaust note from the sports exhaust, but i also love to take a "spirited" drive to the sounds of AC DC, Guns & Roses etc so a decent stereo is a must. With a subwoofer in there you can easily get something to compete with the engine, while at the same time you can still HEAR the engine so you get the best of both worlds... :D

hmmm not quite sure about heavy metal as the driving soundtrack but each to their own ;)

Guns n Roses, Def Leppard Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Meat Loaf and some good Blues from Clapton, Cocker etc - all get my vote.

But surely AC/DC is more suited to driving an S2? :D

Guns n Roses, Def Leppard Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Meat Loaf and some good Blues from Clapton, Cocker etc - all get my vote.

But surely AC/DC is more suited to driving an S2?  :D

Well I dunno - I only recently discovered AC DC, being a long time fan of Guns & Roses, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Queen, and other major names. Never really listened to much AC DC. I'm particularly fond of Back in Black and You Shook Me All Night Long though. They all have their merits...

:D

After going to Nick Whales today to test drive a S2 111R, i agree entirely. It was nice and had electric windows and ABS and ive no doubt went like the poo off a shovel. BUT in IMHO it was not what Lotus ownership is about. I would not swop my S1 for it in a month of Sundays. Im now going to keep my head down whilst the rest of the poo hits the fan :D

After going to Nick Whales today to test drive a S2 111R, i agree entirely. It was nice and had electric windows and ABS and ive no doubt went like the poo off a shovel. BUT in IMHO it was not what Lotus ownership is about. I would not swop my S1 for it in a month of Sundays. Im now going to keep my head down whilst the rest of the poo hits the fan  :D

having passengered in my mates S2 id have to agree. I wouldnt like to use the S1 as my daily driver, but it wasnt bought as such. I feel the S2 is more refined, possibly to accomodate the daily user a little more.

horses for courses I say, buy the tool that does the job.

Archived