litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hard Disc Recovery?

Ladders

A while ago someone posted that they had found a place to recover data on there hard drive.

On friday my computer decided it didnt like its hard drive anymore, and I have lost a load of work

Anyone remember where the place was that recovered the HD? Think it was Notts area?

Tried to do a search but can't find the thread now :blush:

Cheers for any help :(

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it was within the last couple of months Mark, but cheers! :(

Oh, btw, the guy who's going to have a go at sorting it out recons it would cost between £800 and a £1000 to recover a HD, is that right? :blush:

From what i here it V expensive. Has it totally died (clicking or just doing plane nothing? Or will it just not boot??

Bit of a long shot but belive it or not this sometimes works. Put the disk into an anti static bag and leave it in the fridge for a few hours to chill. Then try and slave it to get your data from it. Like i said it's a long shot but it's worked on a couple of occasions for me!!! Worth a try.

Dixie, It locked up, then I restarted and it wouldnt find the system folder (mac!)

In the end I managed to re-install the sytem software. It works but all my work is missing. Although there is 70gig of space being used on the HD! :blush:

Just hoping the tekky guy can manage to get it back :(

Sorry, i'm no good with a mac, strictly a windows man!!!

If the mac Os is anything like Windows then re-installing the OS will format the drive. So your work is very likely to be gone. It probably could be retrieved but at great expence. Even though a disk is formatted the data is still there lurking. It's how they catch peado's.

If you'd have slaved it (if you can on a mac) before you re-installed then you might have had a chance as it sounds like only the OS had corrupt.

But i'm no expert with a mac some maybe all is not lost!!!

Hope you sort it!! :blush:

The company we use at work charge £450 to recover the data, and promise to get it all - if they cant you don't pay a penny. So far they've been great. As for you mate saying £800-£1000!!! He must be joking.

However in this case, as Dixie says, it appears to have just corrupted the data - because if you've reinstalled over the top and it now boots, the HD must be ok.

Which leads to the problem - the data is still there, but you just have to hope your re-installation hasn't overwritten your work...I do have some data recovery software, but I don't think it works with macs :blush:

I should be able to recover the data for you but I'm in Leeds.

(I own the Apple reseller in Leeds.)

As has already been mentioned reinstalling the OS may have overcopied your data so it will be a fingers crossed job.

I am not back in the office until Tuesday.

The office number 0113 2436054

My email [email protected]

Guys thanks for the help so far.

When you re-install the system on OSX you have an option to only install the system files, which I did, so hopefully the data's there still.

My tekky bloke is coming in this week, so I'll have to see what happens then.

Matt, the bloke your on about might be worth a try then, certanly better than forking out a grand!

Andy, you also might be hearing from me as well! :D

Apple Reseller you say....

<ponders>

Yep

Apple Authorised Reseller

Apple Authorised Service Provider

Apple Solution Expert

Apple Authorised Training Centre

All round clever dickies (ok made this one up)

With extra discounts of you turn up in a Lotus!

Yes, hopefully wanting a 12" iBook/Powerbook myself (another :D) oh and if you could tell the stupid idiots at Apple that ITS NOT DIFFICULT TO PUT A PCMCIA SLOT IN A 12" NOTEBOOK, OTHERS HAVE MANAGED IT IN MUCH SMALLER ONES i'd appreciate it ;)

Apple Authorised Training Centre - like this?

post-71-1111491833.jpg

Archived