litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

T1-r's

juicetin

Fitting decent oversized tyres isn't a problem.

Advans only come in the larger size so they will always be oversized on std Elise wheels, but due to much stiffer tyre construction these are okay.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fitting decent oversized tyres isn't a problem.

Advans only come in the larger size so they will always be oversized on std Elise wheels, but due to much stiffer tyre construction these are okay.

Sorry Mark, I was just trying to clear up a point of order from my side of the thread.

Hi Guys,

Here are my findings from the weekend.

I have had a new set of T1-Rs on my S1 for a few weeks now, but this weekend was the first chance I've had to give them a good test.

I had a good run out to Stafford from Leicestester, via Loughboro'.

Some great roads (A518 to Staffs is fab!)

I was looking forward to seeing how the tyres performed and I must say that I was very pleased with the performance. On the way out, it was early and the roads were damp from light drizzle.

The Toyos gave me total confidence in the damp - way more than my old P0s. I was taking bends at speeds that would have given me definite "moments" on the P0s. I found I could get the power down quicker out of corners with no loss of traction. Much more forgiving of "driver error" as well!

On the way back the roads had dried and the tyres felt fantastic.

Yeh they feel a little "different" from the P0s - but certainly not in a bad way. I think this is mostly tread flex - not tyre wall flex that I've heard so much about. These are new tyres and the tread is DEEP. I'm not suprised there is a bit of tread flex. As they scrub in I reckon they will get even better!

I should mention that my car is a 111s (wider rears) and I am running LSS, Also Mike carried out a full geo for me when he fitted the tyres. I don't claim to know Mike's settings, but visually it seems the rears are running more camber (more negative that is - so less I guess?!) I think this has helped a great deal. Mike rates the Toyo tyre and he probably knows a thing or two about setting a car up to run them.

I must say the combination of Mike's geo and the new tyres have improved the handling of my car no end!

These tyres are not a dedicated track tyre, I don't think anyone is saying that. But as a tyre for the "real word" for people that haven't got money coming out of their ears, I think they would be hard to beat.

If you want a tyre just for the track, don't by them. If you want a great "all rounder" that doesn't break the bank, then go for it - but get your motor down to Horizon for a geo as well!!!

Duncs

Bob, yes my car isn't std, but i can't really see the LSS having THAT great an effect on the point you are making... certainly given extra width of the tyres on the rims etc.

The suspension may keep the tyre in greater contact with the road etc etc but still i can't see it causing the problems you had.

It dulls the handling very slightly, but the gains in grip are well worthwhile.

There CANNOT be a problem with fitting 195 front ands 225 rears as this is now the recommended fitment by Lotus themselves - albeit with Advans.

Dixie, a couple of points:

a) don't mix tyres front and rear its really not adviseable on a car like the Elise that is very sensitive to handling etc

:D if you have 195 fronts and 205 rears, you're car is rather overtyred at the front in comparison. The 111S and 160 came with 185 fronts and 225 rears... so if you have the larger fronts you should definitely have larger rears aswell.

c) if you want to run sticky tyres, you will need S2 suspension/S1 LSS at a minimum, you will also need to upgrade your rear toe links as the std ones aren't up to the job of the higher forces involved. I would also recommend (from my own experience) a stiffer front ARB.

Below is my car on S1 LSS, Exige springs and T1-R's... so i reckon i need stiffer dampers and/or stiffer front ARB before moving onto sticky rubber.

8735.jpg

Not sure i agree with you on fitting different tyres on different axels. but i'll definitely bare it in mind in the future. ;)

My car feels fairly well set up at the mo. The fronts give good grip as do the rears and the rears seem to be very progressive. My only complaint is that the changing of direction could be sharper due to the wobbly toyos. Will defo go back down to 185s when they're ready, unless i go for a better tyre.

If i go for 048's or Advans i'll look into changing the toe links (already got the S2 suspension). By not up to it are you suggesting catastrophic failure or is it just more likely to go out of whack quicker?? getting me worried!!!

Thanks for your comments!! :):)

Out of interest, has/does anybody else use Eagle F1s??? What did you think of them?

Scott,

When you say gains in grip, compared to what and in what situation?

Also look at that picture and the amount of flex on the rear wheel, you need to up your pressures or change your tyres as that could end up with you grounding the wheels out (ask Moggy about Walshy driving his car at Elvington:o)

You don't NEED to change the rear Toe-links, it's just advisable. For the record Martin Dower, who does LOAD's of Trackdays has never run the uprated parts and AFAIK has never had one break.

However I do believe he has had the joints changed.

I upgraded mine as I needed new joints and these come in at about £160 a full set so went for the toe-link kit instead.

As for suspension, again you don't need to run stiff suspension if you use AO48's but you won't get the best out of them. LSS, even with Exige springs isn't that stiff. When I bought the Exige it felt very soft so sold the LSS and fitted the Nitrons I had with stiffer than standard springs, my car now has a std Lotus MS front ARB, the springs are 400Fr 475Rr (std Nitron are 325Fr 400Rr and even that is a lot stiffer than LSS).

I was comparing gains in grip to narrower 205 profile T1-S's... the rear end bites more into the tarmac, its less chuckable and playable at the limit but its a good trade-off IMHO.

I was having an experiment with tyre pressures that day Mark, i think i was running the lower ones as suggested by RobC - it did actually feel a lot better but yes looking at the pic it is a bit scary! (Had never noticed that before!)

I thought the S160 had the steel hub carriers anyway, hence a lot stronger from the outset? Most early S1's did not and the aluminium ones are advised to be replaced from what i've heard. I'm sure its not essential, but for peace of mind i think i'd rather have them! Surprised that there is something on Dower's car that hasn't broken :D Speaking to Mike about it he did say its pretty much just a rose joint change and some newer parts elsewhere... so that would probably suffice if you want to save a bit of cash.

Totally agreed on LSS w/Exige Springs being not that stiff... certainly better than std but as you say Nitrons are a move up again, which i'll fit ASAP! As for the MS ARB its on my list of things to get....

Archived