litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

T1-r's

juicetin

What experiences are people having with Toyo T1-R's ?

Ive been impressed with T1-S's over the years so decided to fit some of the new T1-R's to my S1 Elise. Oh dear, so far been very unimpressed, its like driving on sheet ice, slip sliding all over the place. And thats at low speeds in the dry !!

Ive fiddled with pressures but that doesnt seem to make any difference. I might put them up for sale.

What do other people think ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin,

Just picked my S1 up from Horizon with a new set of T1-R boots.

They certainly do feel very different from my old P0s which I did really like (even though most people seem to slag them off!)

However, taking a look at the depth of the tread grooves on the new tyres, it's no suprise that the tread blocks have a bit more movement in them when new.

My feeling was that the grip levels were actually very good. I'm suprised that you say yours were all over the place. Do you think they are actually slipping, or does it just "feel" like it?

For me that back feels a touch more "floaty" and the fronts seem to "hunt" a little more than my P0s did but it is so difficult comparing a new set of boots to an old worn set that you have become accustomed to.

I understand that they do start to settle down once scrubbed in so I'm going to give them a fair crack of the whip.

I also had a full geo from horizon and the car does feel great.

Stick with them mate - people do rate 'em. Lets compare notes in a few weeks?

Dunc

Maybe they been fitted wrongly?? I Love the T1r and if you do a search on the forum there are quite a few reviews.

since having mine fitted i've noticed increased grip, stability and distinct lack of being able to do donuts in the snow. (maybe i wasnt trying hard enough)

What pressures are you running out of interest ?

I had a major sideways moment on Saturday round a low speed island which im pretty sure wouldnt have happened on my old tyres.

Guess i'll persevere with them if other people think theyre good.

I was under the impression that the Toyos were a bit slippy when new. I think it is to do with the stuff they use so the tyre can come out of the mould easily. They will need about 1,000 miles till they are up to normal grip levels.

They are a bit slippy when new, no question...

Have you changed sizes - that may mean some changes in feel etc?

FYI i run mine at 23f/24r and don't have any problems - certainly a lot better than T1-S IMHO

They are dangerous for the first 50 miles and only really start working after about 2-300.

Even then they aren't great, especially on track until you start to wear them down a lot. At the recent day at Bedford they were really bad, you could feel loads of movement, process was turn the steering wheel, wait for the tread to catch up then you would turn.

They were working better at Angelsey on Friday but still a road tyre only IMHO. I run a lower profile at the front to try and stop the sidewall flex which helps a bit, I also don't run them as low as Scott says as that makes the sidewall flex worse, therefore steering response reduced. I run 23/25 cold.

I found running them that hot they were useless after a few laps... like 5 of Donny. Overheated and were terrible.

Each to their own i guess.... am probably going to put stickies on for the summer though, so we'll see :)

I'd go with Mark A comments .

They destoyed the handling of my Elise, which was poor.

Never mind "scrubbing em in " or tyre pressures I'd run my old bals P0's any day compared with the side wall flex, and I hated the P0's !

The back end became dreadful on std S1 rims.

If you have wider rear rims (111S ?) , then maybe, but I didn't have em.

So wide tyres small width rims, no ta.

Also pretty sure Scott (SELOC Direcor) would admit that he has no technical knowledge of what he posts only his thoughts.

Bob

Toyos are very good for the price, not as good as advans but much cheaper.

They take longer to scrub in than other tyres, that's all, so be carefull till you have a few miles under your belt.

So you reckon 225/45 rear & 195/50 front would be ok for my S1?Cos you've got an S2 and they might behave differently on them. So far all I've heard is dodgy things about oversized Toyos on Standard S1 rims...

:)

Bob they are fine, Mark uses them in different sizes which may have an effect, Zircon boy just can't drive for toffee, he had to sell the Elise cos it scared him.

I have been running them since July last year, have done about 15k miles on them and they are due to be replaced very shortly... i've even done 2 trackdays aswell. My avatar was at Brunty, with about 300 miles on them and they were fantastic - waaaaaaaaay better than the T1-S.

Archived