litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Window Glue

MattyB

One of my big "mates" decided to use the glass of the passenger door to help pull himself out the car :) which resulted in moving/bending part of the winder mechanism.

When the door shut, the glass was catching the bodywork - and when I went to wind the window down, it fell out of the runners :angry:

After lots of messing and very cold hands, I've adjusted the winder mechanism so now all is well again. However:

1. The glass is no longer binded to the runner, so when you drop it too far the glass still comes away - what stuff should I use to bond it? Any recommendations?

2. Is the top "bar" (where the glass sits) meant to freely slide left and right when there isn't any glass resting on it?? I assume it is, as part of the "adjustment", but jsut wanted to confirm!

Ta :)

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matty,

1. When mine went over a year ago someone on the BCBBS recommended a glue from Halfords. It's a two part glue that you mix together and was especially for glass and metal (says so on the packing). Cost about 3 or 4 quid I think. It came in two sirynge type tubes and you mix equal parts of both tubes. It sets in about a minute, so make sure you've got all the bits handy and tried them in place before you start to mix the two tubes together. Unfortunately, as it's been so long I can't remember the exact name of it. It worked a treat though and had no problems since.

2. Think that's right from memory. By "top bar" do you mean the bar that the glass clips into in three places? I think there was a small amount of left to right movement (50mm??). But again, it's been a while....

Hope that's a bit of help for you...

Steve.

Archived